Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my GK 400RBIV!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wushuguy, May 23, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I just got back from Guitar Center, and am now the proud owner of a GK 400RBIV. They just got them in today. They are selling them for $489 just like everyone else, while I believe the 400RBIII is still $420. I got mine for $469 though. As far as I'm concerned, the extra price is worth it.
    I've been playing it a bit through my Avatar B115H and Lakland 55-01, and this thing sounds really good. It sounds warmer and has more punch than the 400RBIII. It looks much better too. :bassist:

I had a thread a while ago about a problem I had with the 400RBIII making the Avatar fart. I'm beginning to think the problem is something else now. The same thing happens with the 400RBIV, but not until a much louder volume, and it isn't nearly as bad as the 400RBIII. When I tried the 400RBIV at the store, I had it cranked through a SWR 15 and was using a Stingray 5. There was absolutely no farting at all. So I think it might be my cab or bass. I'll have to try and find out again at my next practice.

The new GK's are out though, finally. And me thinks they are good. :D :bassist:

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    How many watts in the 400RBIV?

3. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    280w at 4 ohms. I don't really know what it is at 8 ohms. I believe 180-190w at 8.

4. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Nice!! I was wondering just when in the "end of May" the new GK's would be coming out!! woohoo! Bummer that your setup is still farting though. :(

Also, pyrohr, I think it's +40w to the old wattage, so I think that would be 180w at 8 ohms. IMO, it would've been better just to top it of off at 200w, but it wouldn't make much difference anyway. :p :bassist:

5. probably cause your not running enough watts/volume through the cab.

6. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    That would make it fart? Do you mean that the GK doesn't have enough headroom, and that's making it happen?

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah deep may be on to something, I am just waiting for the 1001RBIV to hit a store near me. I tried out a 1001RB with all combinationa of GK RBH bottoms (I own a RBH 1x15) and there was no farting just in your face bass. I tried the 4x10's w/1x15 RBH's and was in heaven.I also own a 400RBIII combo that will fart at certain high volumns and to me it does seem like it is just a lack of power to take it any further, but with the added bottom it does get better and thicker.