Just got my gk mb112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by laklandplayer, Jan 18, 2011.

1. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Finally, after waiting 6 months it arrived. First impression is that it was definitely worth the wait. This little amp kicks ass and handles the low b effortlessly.

The major differences, from my mb115, are that the amp section has a vent and a small cooling fan to circulate air and no tweeter.

The eq has a lot of range and it's voicing is very effective with the 12" speaker.

So far, I've only played my fender am std P 5 string and my mtd crb 5 through it, and both sound great. I'll be trying it with my Laklands and my upright later. I expect to be impressed with those too.

I think that this is going to be a great amp for small gigs, pit work and rehearsals and it only weighs 28 lbs.

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Congrats on the first ever GK MB112 review! Yeah it looks like a winner, especially for that killer price.
    I kinda like the fact that it’s tweeter-less. Plenty of power... Just pure 12” bass speaker tone, nothing else.

:bassist:

3. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    where did you get yours? I ordered one from Sweetwater but haven't heard from them.

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks for the info - I have one on my wishlist.

Lee - MF says that they have them in stock now.

5. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    Got it from mf.

6. twangman

twangman

May 8, 2010
    Does this amp seem gig worthy as a stand alone unit?

7. I have it on the standby list for my wish list. Keen to hear more....

8. Seathal

Seathal

Jan 20, 2011
    May I ask why you got both the 12 and the 15?

I, as twangman, want to know if it's gig-worthy at medium-sized events.

Also, congratulations on your purchase!

9. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    mine came in today! Unfortunately haven't had time to wring it out yet but i do know it'll get loud! 200w into a 12" speaker...

I'm going to A-B it with my Carvin 210 combo to see how they compare.

10. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Those 112s have been on hold forever! Glad to see they finally made it!

11. zdjs34

zdjs34

Jul 1, 2009
    I've had the Gallien Krueger MB 112 now for about 3 weeks and love it! I'm on my second one however, as the first one was buzzing and rattling (especially on the lower notes) very bad... Luckily I bought it from Guitar Center and they exchanged it no problem. But the amp is simply amazing for up to medium sized gigs. I play a 1939 Kay Upright Bass, and run it through a Fishman pre amp before the GK MB 112.... love the power and tone! I also have a GK Backline 115, and I think the GK MB 112 is comparable to it. Great EQ range too.

Its got 200W in a 12" speaker!

12. Man I hope they get their QC sorted out. The market is crying for this product - a one arm lift combo that can carry decent rehearsal/small gig volume at a reasonable price.

13. Very nice review. I love my MB115. I always keep the tweeter off, so it might as well might not have one.

14. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I played one today at Daddy's Junky Music in Burlington MA. Its really nice. They also had a MB115. I liked the 112 better. It was punchier and almost as loud. It has a big shelf vent on the bottom behind the grill. Its the full width and about 1" tall. I got it to fart out on the Low B but it was really loud (Volume at ~3:00). It has that growly GK tone at pretty loud volumes. I was sitting about 5 feet away and could feel it in my chest.

15. Lakland - I am looking at the GK MB112 to replace my current amp. I play upright as well as electric. Have you had a chance to use your upright with it? How does it sound through the MB112? I can't seem to find any reviews of this from upright players.

16. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    Is the MB112 loud enough for a practice setting in a basement. 2 Guitars, loud drummer (I wear ear plugs) singer through a small PA?

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021