Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my Goliath Sr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Apr 26, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I finally got my new bass cab...an SWR Goliath Sr. It cost me an arm and a leg but I got it. I hooked my Peavey Mark III and Fender Jazz w/ Basslines into it....the sound is so amazing. This cab kicks my old Hartke's butt. Coming soon....SWR 750x.

~Patrick

2. Nice buy! I am still kicking myself now for not buying a Goliath Sr. that a store had on super sale when they stopped selling SWR stuff. It sat their for a while too, really cheap. Maybe another day. Great cab, nice and punchy. Will sound even better with the SWR head when you get it!!

jtbp

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I got a killer deal for it. I paid $450 and then traded in my Ibanez Ergodyne and Hartke cab for a Goliath III and then my friend traded for that his Goliath Sr. This cab is so amazing. I always wanted a 6x10 but all the ones I looked at were so expensive, then my friend offered this deal. Wow. I can turn the tweeter all the way down my make my Jazz Bass sound like a Stingray.

~Patrick:bassist:

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    best cab i've ever played. you got a good one ;)

5. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    WHATEVER.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

(whips out a bottle, breaks it on table)

BRING IT!

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    OK, I gots a question about this. I'm using a Peavey Mark III Centurion which puts out 130 watts at 4 ohms. This cab handles a 1000 watts at 4 ohms. So why can I see the speakers booming out when my head is turned all the way up? I wouldn't think that'd be enough to move the speakers.

~Patrick

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That would be clipping. You're maxing out your head's power section, and that's sending a clipped signal, the speaker excursions are simply reproducing that signal. In essence, you're underpowering the Goliath.

It's a bad thing.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a REALLY bad thing. Don't do it, unless you have a big budget for new drivers.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Would it be safe to use this head with my Goliath Sr until I get my 750x? Maybe even a gig or so? THe last thing I want to do is kill this cab.

~Patrick

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if the you don't push the head past say, half volume, you'd be OK. If that can handle a show or not is your perogative.

12. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Perhaps engaging a limiter if your head has one would be a good idea. It'll squash the sound a bit but should help prevent nasty clipped signals from reaching your drivers.

13. I have Just had 4 of the 6 speakers in my new goliath 6x10 blow out this weekend. Its powered by an SWR SM900 amp running mono bridged. Should be an ideal match of amp and cab.
    The 6x10 is rated at 1000W and amp rated at 900W
    The amps limiter is always on and CLip LED at both input and output stages is very rarely lit.
    Its only 4 months old so am hoping to sort it out under warranty today.
    I have owned Ampeg, trace, Hartke, Peavey and non have ever blown in my 16+ years of playing
    very annoyed....ARGGGGH
    Any body had similar experiances with SWR cabs ?
    :bawl:

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Even if you drive the Peavey into total square wave distortion you'll only be getting 300W absolute max from it. Unless that is all going into the HF (which could blow the horn) I really can't see how you could blow a cab rated at 1000W.

All that movement you're seeing is a combination infrasonic frequencies (i.e. really really low) which you can't hear, combined with a low damping factor (not much cone control).

Try not to max that Peavey out, but if you really have to, I very much doubt you'll hurt the SWR.

Alex

15. I have a Snr cab - i use an ALembic F1-X preamp, into an SWR Stereo 800... it's a sweet setup. The cabinet is superb, and not too bad to cart around!
    Enjoy it my friend!

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ah, but you can. I've done it, and I've learned the hard way. Regardless of the power rating of the speakers, sending a clipped signal into them will fry the voice coils. Every time.

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    My Peavey head does have a DDT Compressor. Its the same technology they use today and it does have a Limit LED. Am I safe as long as I leave this one?

~Patrick

18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Really? What gear were you using? Were the speakers rated at near 10 times the amp wattage as they are in this case?

Alex

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Am I going to blow it up or is it safe?

~Patrick

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You can cause expensive damage. Take it easy and get that more powerful amp. This is not an opinion. JBL stated twenty years ago that a little power clipping heats voice coils and damages speakers. A higher watt amp idling giving you all the volume you need with out breaking a sweat doen't produce the distortion that does the damage. Call and ask Rahon at SWR service. The Sr. doesn't produce deep dub bass lows so don't try. Over doing bass boost could be the cause of your cone excursion.