Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my Korg G5...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basstyra, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    ...and well... That's wonderfull.

I tested some bass synth before, Boss SYS, synths on ME-50B, both are really bad. Me-8B synth, great. Digitech BSW, well... not as great a people say (cheap, and good quality, yes, but I don't like it).

And this... Guys, that's GREAT !! Wonderfull sounds, and it tracks just perfectly. Sustain is the best I ever heard, and the tracking is very fast, allowing to play really fast lines (the ME-8B synth section has good sound but miss this last point).

I don't played it much, because I just got it, but yeah... that's a terrific pedal... :D

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    two G5 related chips in the same day?

i think the tracking on the g5 might even be better than the deep impact..

when are we going to see some new synths that are as capable as the di and g5?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had both at some point and found the Akai tracks way better. :)
    Make sure you use a good loop box for the Korg. Bypass mode is a tonesucker.
    With an expression pedal, the wah is fantastic.

4. Congrats Basstyra! G5 is THE bass synth. I have also EHX, Deep Impact and G5 and when I bought G5, Deep Impact got retired immediately. G5 has really brutal and dark synth sounds. So be warned. :D

Jazz Ad is absolutely right about bypass. It is just horrible. I bought loooper for that purpose and now G5 is just perfect. Well, it could be little bit smaller...

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Well, concerning the bypass, I must say I didn't wait for you, guys... But I didn't post the pic. Here you have :
    [​IMG]

Please notice the use of the LS-2... :p
    Anyway, I was told about this bypass before I buy.

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Congrats! My favorite synth pedal, like it much better than the Deep Impact I previously used, which sounds much more 'digital' to my ears than the analog-like quality of the G5.

7. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Some news... Exciting news !! :hyper:

I tested it in my band. It's like a distortion unit, but better. What a punch factory... :eek:

I just spend some time right now. It's also the best octaver ever. Tracks at the speed of light, never fail, I tested only the OC-3 in "poly" mode which could do the same, and G5 is faster, more precise. NEVER miss a note, from my upper (21th fret) to my lower E. And I mean with a speedy playing. And the sound, guys, the sound... Tone can be changed, from muddy to very precise. I tested los of octavers, this one beats them all, from OC-3 to EBS, including the famous BSW (ok, not the same price... :smug: ).

Guys, I'm in love with a pedal... (in french it's a bad joke... :D ).

And what if the Deep Impact is better than that ???? :eek:

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    What settings did you use on the G5 for the octave effect?

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't say it's better.
    Different indeed and tracks even better. Much more punch and accuracy. Or you could call that coldness depending on your tastes.
    It could be worth having both. Oh, and a Micro Bass synth. :D
    Some people prefer the G5 or the EHX, the Deep Impact suits my needs better.

10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    5th wave shape, with intensity at the middle, so the filter doesn't move. The tone is set by the resonnance knob. The decay does not affect the sound, as far as I tested.

The 3 and 4 can also be used, but I didn't get the same result.

Jazz Ad :yes, it seems each of the three have their supporters. I surely won't be able to test a Deep Impact before a long time... So I won't know.