Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my Marshall bass cab from the bay.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Prahainspring, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Hey everyone. I won last week a Marshall bass cab that i've been dieing to get my hands on and finally did. Its a 8ohm cab (with 300 watts RMS). I'm pretty happy with it now (i played it with another head). I'm going to add another cab ontop (2x10). I've tried an Ampeg 2x10 and the GS210 and i'm really impressed with the GS. For this, I'm going to Power amp/preamp option. I've tried (and love) the new Ampeg SVP-CL but I need a Power amp to feed the beast. Could I get some recomendations for one (after searching for a bit, I would like the QSC brand)? It doesn't matter to me if its an RMX or PLX. I play in a rock band, similiar to Black Sabbath and Yes, and I have 1,000$ to spend on the power amp. Fire away!

2. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Since the cabs you're getting don't have huge power handling, you could even go for a tube poweramp. I use either a Mesa Strategy 400 or a QSC PLX 1202, and both are great. Soundwise I prefer the Mesa, but the QSC is a lot lighter and more powerful. Ironically, the Mesa actually keeps a bit cooler, but I've yet to try it for extended band practices.

3. Are Marshall still making 1x15 or 4x10 cabs? Last I saw they're now only producing 4x12 beasts and 8x10s.

4. QSC PLX 2402 is a good, light, powerful power amp.

I've been lookin at that SVT-CL preamp lately. We need a review man, a review!

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to just bump this for anymore comments/feedback.