1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just Got My Mesa M9 Carbine (noise?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JCdub, Apr 15, 2009.

1. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I just got my mesa M9 in the mail

its a really cool amp, and with the gain and master both on 3, its still freakin LOUD! (going into a Ampeg 4x10 HLF)

One MAJOR complaint so far, it makes a tremendous amount of Noise (HISS)

I'm not sure if this is just my model. Anyone else notice this?

I am going to do further tests tomorrow. I had it plugged into a furman power conditioner in my basement.
    But I'll try upstairs tomorrow and let you know if i notice any differences

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats. It shouldn't be hissing at you, unless you have the high freq's cranked. Hope it's just from the outlet downstairs, otherwise....

3. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Great purchase - I love my M6!

FWIW, if you venture through the M6 megathreads there are a number of folks (myself included) that hear a lot of hiss from their Carbines. I guess it's realy up to you just how much is too much, but I think it might just be a noisy amp.

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

I liked the one I played thru a couple of weeks ago but the Hiss was ever present.(And no the highs weren't cranked) I thought the unwanted noise may be just early model teething. If Mesa can get rid of the hiss the M9 will be an outstanding head.

Rezdog

5. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    call mesa,
    talk to the tech
    it should not hiss

6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, but how does it sound? The eq is a big selling point for me.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

One thing you might want to do is turn the pre gain up and the master down. Of course, it's not quite as simple as in a full solid state amp, since turning the pre gain up quite a bit will start to change your tone with a tube preamp like the one in the M6/M9. However, especially with an amp like the M6/M9 that seems for some reason to be a little noisy, it's key to set the amp for optimal signal to noise, which means turning the pre gain up as much as you can while keeping the tone you like, and setting the master to control volume.

The best way to achieve this is to turn the master WAY down, and then pound on your open E string as hard as you ever would in a typical playing situation. With your other hand, turn up the pre gain as much as you can while keeping the tone and response of the pre as you like it. Then, use the master to set the volume.

My guess is, you can get the same tone and volume as your 3/3 setting at 'noon for the pre gain and barely on for the master' and your hiss will mostly go away.

It's worth a try. Just remember that a too low pre gain setting results in a too high master setting, which increasess any inherent noise coming out of the amp.

8. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Kjung is 100% on that one. Where is everyone buying their
    M9's?

9. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, I did some more final tests.

All in all, the amp is a pretty noisy amp (I tried with numerous cabinets and power outlets)

I personally think the m9 would be THE PERFECT AMP if it wasn't noisy (Good hybrid tone/compressor/eq)

Yet, when your playing at a loud volume, you don't even notice the noise

I tried riding the preamp hard and the master low to get a little tube growl as well. You do get a little better S/N Ratio, however, it still does get some hiss (Especially through the horn on my Ampeg Cabs)

I am going to decide on if I'm keeping it or returning it in the upcoming days.

I will say one thing, this amp is one Loud MOFO!!

10. JCdub

JCdub

Jul 10, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    All in all, I want a powerful amp that can handle a 2 OHM Minimum with a good eq and compressor on it (Graphic EQ is always a Plus)
    (( and is under 35 lbs ))

If I decide to return the M9, I am thinking about picking up the EDEN WT1205

Any Opinions?

11. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    it cannot be noisy
    there is something wrong
    at the namm show this stuff ran whisper quiet
    very impressive

you should find out if it was damaged somehow
    call the mesa factory, and talk with them directly
    they are open monday thru thursday
    they are in petaluma california

or you can contact the techs thru e-mail
    they have been very accomodating to me whenever i talk with them
    and they repaired stuff for free
    that i bought used and was out of warranty

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Guitar Source in Kansas City has one, and it sounds fantastic. Not that I've played it or anything... :D

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Have not played either M Amp.

I would call a Mes Tech Direct and talk to them.

I once purchased the M Bassis 2000 and that thing was the noisiest amp I'd ever heard. I called a Mesa guy and he told me they had some problems with those and to take it back and get a 400+ instead. I did and I was a happy camper.

14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Shouldnt be hissing.. do you have excessive treble boosted? that amp is already bright set almost flat.. do you have treble boost on your bass ?
    ditch the Furman conditioner.. you dont need it... they become a bottle neck at times when you try to draw large amounts of current.

And i second what Kjung says about your gain structure

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The M6 Carbine I just played for a couple of hours at Willcutt music in Lexington, KY did not hiss. It was actually a great test bed for the 4 RW Fenders and the 3 other passive fender basses I played there.

It had the kind of response I get from most of my rigs, which have 12ax7 pre into a big solid-state power stage--with widely varied cab configs. The M6 is one nice amp, IMHO.

16. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    Well hiss and loud are relative terms. IMO, these amps have a higher level of hiss than most of the amps I have owned. I made a stink about this in the M6 forum and thought it would be an issue for me at my church gig as we leave our amps on during sermon and whatnot. I did some sound levels with my M6 with decibel meter and posted it. I wish it was dead quiet, but truthfully after I used it a few times I realized the ambient noise is always enough to make this a non-issue at my church environment. So it is really only an issue in super quiet environments and have had no negative feedback on excessive hiss on the DI from FOH. IMO the features, tone and power outweigh the negatives on this amp.

17. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've yet to get any noise from my M6 with the volume turned down, though the voicing of the amp is indeed very bright compared to anything I've ever owned before, so single coil hum and noise from other surrounding electrical sources is more apparent when its turned up- cutting the tone knob on my basses tends to tame the excess brightness and cut the noise just fine.

Karl

18. They do that. My M6 hissed pretty well too.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Played the M9 recently at a dealer here in Atl. It is a noisey amp no doubt about it.

Played it through a Berg AE4X10 with the Tweet set at about 8:00 oclock. With everything in the amp off and turned all the way down it hissed. As I brought things up the hiss got worse.

Other than that problem, it sounded fantastic and had plenty of power on tap. Not dissing Mesa at all they make great products.

20. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    My Mesa M9 through a Bergie AE410 is not too hissy. I can hear it when everything is quite in the room, but it is not unreasonable. And of course when the band is playing all I hear is great bass tonefulness. I think I finally have a keeper.