Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got my new Essex jazz, should i have spent more ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chi42069, Aug 15, 2003.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    hi, i just got a new Essex Jazz with the flame top. I was a lil disappointed when i started playing it. It buzzed like crazy. Plus it had scratches around the edges of a few frets. I had put the action up pretty high to avoid fret buzz. Besides that, i think this bass feels pretty solid. Looks sharp. But the playability is what im concerned with. It seems to buzz a lot. I knew that when i bought this bass, i would have to put a lil more money into it. Now, im wondering if i should have spent more money and got something nicer. Maybe a Rockbass for $340, or Spector, or Dean. I also might be joining a band whose guitar player uses 7 strings.

I'm either thinking of keeping this bass and eventually get a 5 string essex or brice. Or returning it and buying a nicer 4 or 5 string. What do u all think?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Personally, I'd take it for a pro setup and keep it.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    seconded.

and trust me that guitarist WILL get bored of a 7 string :p

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    +1 good idea

planning on getting this as my next bass

[​IMG]

pearl block inlays on rosewood, lake placid blue

only $230

5. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    i wouldn't mind keeping it. I just keep thinking that if i spend a lil more i can get something better. Mostly in terms of playability. How does your essex's playability compare to other bass u have played?

thanks

chi

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i wouldn't judge it until you get a good setup

steve

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    mine was setup good. the action is a little high, but i like it. i just need to put new strings on it. also, i never realized that the SX's have a 34.5" Scale.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All of the Essex's that i have played buzzed like crazy, thats why i dont buy them. This may not be true for alll of them, but i have yet to find one with moderately low action that doesnt buzz.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    When you get a setup done, you can also have them put in a new nut for little $$$, which allows for lower action without buzzing.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

FWIW, mine doesn't buzz at all. I have a BG-80, and the action is set medium low. The only gripe that I have with it is that the fret ends stick over the edge of the fingerboard a tiny bit and they are sharp.

I am going to dress the fret ends this weekend.