1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just got my new Essex jazz, should i have spent more ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chi42069, Aug 15, 2003.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    hi, i just got a new Essex Jazz with the flame top. I was a lil disappointed when i started playing it. It buzzed like crazy. Plus it had scratches around the edges of a few frets. I had put the action up pretty high to avoid fret buzz. Besides that, i think this bass feels pretty solid. Looks sharp. But the playability is what im concerned with. It seems to buzz a lot. I knew that when i bought this bass, i would have to put a lil more money into it. Now, im wondering if i should have spent more money and got something nicer. Maybe a Rockbass for $340, or Spector, or Dean. I also might be joining a band whose guitar player uses 7 strings.

I'm either thinking of keeping this bass and eventually get a 5 string essex or brice. Or returning it and buying a nicer 4 or 5 string. What do u all think?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Personally, I'd take it for a pro setup and keep it.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    seconded.

and trust me that guitarist WILL get bored of a 7 string :p

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    +1 good idea

planning on getting this as my next bass

[​IMG]

pearl block inlays on rosewood, lake placid blue

only $230

5. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    i wouldn't mind keeping it. I just keep thinking that if i spend a lil more i can get something better. Mostly in terms of playability. How does your essex's playability compare to other bass u have played?

thanks

chi

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i wouldn't judge it until you get a good setup

steve

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    mine was setup good. the action is a little high, but i like it. i just need to put new strings on it. also, i never realized that the SX's have a 34.5" Scale.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All of the Essex's that i have played buzzed like crazy, thats why i dont buy them. This may not be true for alll of them, but i have yet to find one with moderately low action that doesnt buzz.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    When you get a setup done, you can also have them put in a new nut for little $$$, which allows for lower action without buzzing.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

FWIW, mine doesn't buzz at all. I have a BG-80, and the action is set medium low. The only gripe that I have with it is that the fret ends stick over the edge of the fingerboard a tiny bit and they are sharp.

I am going to dress the fret ends this weekend.