Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got my new zon and...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 14, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    holy poop! its the most amazing sounding bass ive ever heard. its just a work of art. ill post pics when i can, its just insane how awsome it is.

but ive got a couple of questions.

this bass seems to be noiser than my other active basses. meaning that when i plug it in i get a lot more of that nasty amp noise. is it the bass or crappy grounding? (my house has bad electricity as well, but it never seemed to effect the other basses).

and lastly, i have 2 d-tuners on it. whenever i used the d-tuner on the D string, when i bring it back to D its out of tune. why is this? i thought those things were just shy of full proof?

anyway, aside from that the bass is a freakin' monster and i love it to death. i want to get another, its just amazing. thanks.

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    D-tuners are tricky. You will have to tune and re-tune a bit to get it right. if I remember correctly if you tune the note, drop it, then bring it back up it will be stightly sharp. I think I used to tune mine slightly flat, then drop, and back up, and it would be close. It takes some very fine tuning and practice. I saw Michael Manring tune his Hyperbass at NAMM, and damn was it complicated, he would tune, flip, tune, flip, flip, tune, repeat * 3 ^10 Honestly, it was more amazing to watch him tune than watching some guys play.

3. You shouldn't be getting noise from the preamp no matter what model your Zon is. If it is a periodic cracking noise, replace the battery. Otherwise someone might have to take a look at your preamp.

Wait a moment. You write you get more noise from the AMP. Meaning what? High end hiss? Check the levels of your tweeter and high band eq on bass and amp. You won't need much boost as Zons have quite an extended high end.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ill do it, thanks for the help everyone.

yea im gonan ahve to work with the d-tuners a bit. but man theyre fun. and my older basses didnt have the extended mid, high mid and high end the zon has. I will definately give this a look. It is like a high end hiss. Thanks again

5. First congrats on your new bass, and second, I also use D-tuners and mine always stay in tune if i put some graphite from pencils between the nut and the strings, they never go out of tune on me.
    :bassist:

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    how do you do that? thats interesting. thanks

7. please post pics asap!
    :hyper:

congrats man!

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Depends. I don't see him mentioning a model. My Sonus 5's both have single-coil p'ups, so you will get some noise from those in certain environments. However, I will say it's shielded so well that it's the quietest SC pickup bass I've ever played.

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Hey man, congrats on the Zon. I just got my fretless two weeks ago and I love mine too. (Mines a Roscoe, but Zon was a very close second).

I love playing the fretless so much more than a fretted bass now. I'm surprised in such a short period of time.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    hey guys. thanks for all the input. ill try teh powdered graphite/pencil technique when i restring.

i have a sonus 4. it has d-tuners on the e and d strings. so yea its a variation on teh manring. as far as pu's go, i have a linear singel coil in teh bridge and a "special" pu in the neck. its more or less a p-bass pu with a soap bar cover on it so it looks like a soap bar. it sounds killer. anyway, it has a 2 band eq and then an adjustable mid control inside the bass. so if anyone can suggest anymore things about the noise let me know. when im home this weekend ill definately get on it through my amp and stuff. thanks agian.

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    As Josh asked, is the bass new or used?

You might want to look at the setting on the mid-range control pot. It might be max'ed out.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    brand new, i had joe and the guys build it that way. i looked at the id control and moved it back to the bass some. it helped a little. i will be home from school this weekend to try it on myamps at home to find out what is still there or isnt there. anymore suggestions?

13. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    A little trick for D-Tuners: Before you switch it back up, grab the string and put a little tension on it. Then, while holding the string, flip the switch back up. Release the string. It should be in tune.

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    man, if yuo bought teh bass new, then just give zon a call an they should be abel to help you right away

about the dtuners, go to www.hipshotproducts.com -assuming these are hipsot- these tuner do require that you adjust them often for proper tuning but is realy ease yuo just have to play with a little thumb screw that is part of teh tunin key

crongratulation on teh new bass

zon rocks!!!!!!!!!!

15. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Sounds like a nice bass. I have a Sonus 5 and it is dead quiet, but if you are running the treble boost or boosting the mids you could be driving the tweeter and hearing some hiss. It sure as heck ain't a passive J. The output from my Sonus with Bart preamp is pretty hot. Check that, it is VERY hot. Maybe the most output I have heard from an active bass, and that includes my old L-2000 which I swore would drive headphones.

As for the hipshot. I use a graphite lube from Stewmac called Guitar Grease and it works great. I had a D-tuner on my P bass and it worked perfectly. I also use a dri-slide lube on the lever meck and that helped too.

And yeahhhhh... PICS, bro!

I'll prime the pump:

[​IMG]

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ok, I'll play...

One fretted, one fretless, both awesome.

Click the pic for bigger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, I LOVE the look of that all "ebony" fretless! :)

17. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Nice!

Here is the link to more pics of the black one. I scavenged them from Gguitars website where I bought it. Thanks... it is like playing the obelisk from 2001!

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Dude, you've got a GREAT pseudo 404 page... at least for windows users... :)

BTW, what's up with the strap button down by the output jack??

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Call Joe and see what he says WRT the noise you are getting. My Sonus Custom has the ZP2D preamp, and it is quiet, even with all of the active controls up full.

We need pics! Here is mine.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Vic, I don't know how/why it got there, but it sure does make the bass sit at a very comfy angle. The bass is a 1997 and aside from that strap button there is hardly a mark on it.