1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just got my old BB300 back, I missed it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yamaha, Apr 13, 2006.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I lended my BB300 to a friend a couple of years back, and I just got it back. I did not need it, as I had 2 other basses that I could use at home. I played it today, and I love the tone. My other basses have humbuckers, and this (the BB300) is different, more of a vintage sound. It weighs a ton though, and it isin't balanced. The head stock almost weighs more than the body. (Ok, neck and headstock).

I used my BBN4 after, and it seemed to me that I was strapping on a steinberger (the BB300 is so heavy). I still missed the BB300, it's buit like a tank. I had to change the strings, as the actual reason I got it back is probably because it was missing a string, and my friend did not want to buy a new set.

2. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Nice you got yours back, mine is long gone. I got it for winning a battle of the bands when they first came out-mid 80's? Black, really solid, a great bassic (ha!) instrument. Had d'Addario XL Red copper wounds on it--super bright. As I remember it had one tone, but it was rich. I never liked P basses and this I would have to say was as close as I 've ever come to one. This would have been the beginner bass to kill for.

3. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    My first bass was a black BB300. I bought and sold it for $150.00 a few years later. I always felt kind of different and somewhat "less than";) because the P-bass pickup was reversed from a Fender( the higher string half was closer to the neck, unlike the Fender. I put in a Fender P-bass pickup which gave it slightly more power. Agreed- a very heavy bass.

4. My first bass is a DB. But, my first BG is a BB350 from eBay which I still have (nothing spectacular since I only bought it 2 years ago). I don't think I'll be letting mine go anytime soon.

5. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    My black BB300 is my main bass in my rock band, its hotrodded with SD1/4lb, badass, tuners with D tuner. Sick bass and yes weighs about 12lbs. Cuts through the mix and anything else!

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I bought one of those brand new in the mid 80s & essentially gave it away on an ill advised trade several years later. That was a good bass that I wish I still had...

7. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    My main and only bass is a BB300 with Quarter Pound basslines. Run through a bass exciter, ampeg b2r and a Carvin 4ohm 115, the things sounds like a monster. Heavy as hell, but in my opinion bass is supposed to be heavy.