Just got my PLX3002...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Feb 1, 2006.

1. leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Literally, havent even gotten to play through it yet. I just had a few simple questions before i fire this beast up tomorrow...#1 I am going to be running it with my RBI through an ampeg 810, anyone else out there have this setup? and if so what EQ settings do you prefer? Ive heard that certain pre-amps dont fully drive the power amps to their potential (something to do with input voltage i believe), Is this going to be a problem for me?

Question #2 I noticed that my furman power conditioner says "handles up too 1600 watts" on the front. Running my plx bridged is going to be running about 2000 watts....is this going to cause any problems with my power conditioner? i dont really think it would but i thought i would ask to make sure. Looking forward too replies, and i will have a review of this power amp after band practice tomorrow.
    thanks in advance,
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Don't plug your amp into the power 'conditioner' just plug it straight into the wall (or a heavy gauge extension lead into the wall). Your amp can look after itself, it doesn't need the Furman's protection and the Furman may restrict the current flow under heavy load.

3. leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    thanks for the reply. In a situation where i only have the use of one outlet, would plugging it into the power conditioner hurt the amp? would it be bad for the power conditioner. (Many places i have played in the past only offer 1 outlet for me considering there are two guitarists and a keyboard player)
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It won't actually damage aither the amp or the power conditioner, if that's what you're asking. It just doesn't offer any benefits.
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Not likely. You'd blow up your speakers and/or blow a breaker in the house wiring first. You'll probably never pull that kind of power on a sustained basis.
  6. BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    How many watts is the Ampeg 8x10 rated for ?

A bridged PLX 3002 into a 4ohm cab will put out 3000 watts.

I'd think thats about three times the rating on the Ampeg.

If it were me I'd run the amp in Stereo with only one side connected to the cabinet.

With bridging I think you run the risk of blowing the speakers pretty quickly.