Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my QSC PLX, and i DONT KNOW HOW TO HOOK IT UP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Nov 30, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    AHH

ok ok

i have the QSC PLX 1202 and a 4 ohm avatar 2x10(600 watts)
    peavey mark iv and a hartke combo both with line outs and the peavey has pre amp out/in and poweramp input.

how do i connect all this? i just want to use the pre from either the hartke or the Peavey.

help me please!

2. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    do i run the line out to the channel one 1/4th input on the back, then get a speakon to run from the speak on out to the cab?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    did the plx not come with a manual?????????????
    you got the wiring right
    preamp/line out of either head into the input of channel #1, speakon cable from the speaker output of channel 1 (if you are just running one side of the power amp) or from whatever output on the plx is for bridge mono mode (if you're running the plx in bridge mode) to the speakon input of the cabinet.

remember this thread???

4. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    yah, i know, im just panicing. but i got the cable and im rocking out. not as loud as i expected but should put out a good fight with the band and be CLEAN sounding too, none of that clipping.

thanks!

5. sounds like you're only using one channel, take a good look at the manual and go to bridge mode instead.

6. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    All those tiny micro switches are fun, aren't they? :eek:

7. Switch 7 will put you in bridge mono. You'll need a speakon cable wired 1+/1- on one end and 1+/2+ on the other end, or you can use a banana plug on the two red posts. In a bind you can put a wire pair directly on the red banana posts, but be careful not to short out.

The PLX's are great amps.

Aloha,

Jonathan

8. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

im not sure how to do that well really what i dont know what my speakon is. i bought it last night its speakon to 1/4th. how can i tell?

i dont think i will run it in bridge but i want to know how.

i think i am in bridged though because only channel one is controling the volume and the LEDs on both sides light up.

9. The most common setting for the amp is with dip switches 4567 in the left position. This is stereo mode, where the input for each side feeds the amp & speaker on that side.

If you put 456 in the right hand position, then input one will be parallelled, and it will feed both both amps and conversely both speakers. You will still control the level of each side with the 2 knobs on the front.

If 456 & 7 are in the right hand position, you are in bridge mono. Input one feeds the amps, which function as one unit controlled by one knob on the front.

Normally, you would have two speakon nl4 connectors, with pins 1+/1- coneected to the speaker wires that go to the speaker, which would also have a speakon connected to 1+/1- on the other end (or a qtr plug or whatever).

For bridge mono, you connect pins 1+/2+ to the amp end of the cable, and leave the speaker end as it is.

Similarly, you can use a banana plug connected to the two red terminals for bridge mono, or even loosen the red posts and carefully feed the wire ends through the holes in the binding posts and re-tighten the red plastic ends

Don't be afraid of the speakons, they are the easiest connector to use and require only a small screwdriver, and the 1+ etc terminal numbers are marked on the coneector.

Aloha,

Jonathan.

10. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    im still confused a little. i understand how to bridge with everything BUT speakon. do i leave it in channel one and then put the 4567 switches to the right?

how do i get 1+/2+ with speakon?

11. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    You take off the blue sleeve on one of the speakon ends, and unscrew the unwire from -1 (it's all labeled) and put it on +2. (And then label that end so you don't put the wrong end into the PLX.)

It's pretty simple, although for some reason I had a hard time taking the blue sleeve off.

Or, if you don't have a speakon cable, you can ask someone to make it for you.

12. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    how did you get that blue cap off. it doesnt twist does it?

13. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    why this so hard?

14. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    It's not. For some reason, it just didn't like me....

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Only switch 7 puts the amp into bridged mono; 4, 5, and 6 only parallel the inputs.

16. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i got the blue cap off today and it came wired in bridge mono. i guess since the cables says bridged mono speaker cable i should have figured. it doesnt seem as loud as it should be, its the 1202 shouldnt it be MUCH louder than my old peavey (210 watts)

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    It can be louder or softer, depending on how hot a signal you put into the amp and where you set the gain.

18. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana

yah im using my hartke as a pre amp and i have the volume (gain) set at like 9 o'clock. so that is pretty low, any higher and it clips.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Is that the gain on the Hartke or the gain on the power amp?