Just got my Ricky! Questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaswine85, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Well..first off...its beautiful! Now...a couple questions.
    First, how do i take off the pickup cover? Do i take off all 6 screws...or just the big ones? Also, in my manual it says that when i have the three way selector on say, treble, that only the treble controls will work. This, however, is not the case. When i have it on treble all four knobs work and when i have it on bass all four knobs work. Whats up with that?

2. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Treble pick-up the one near the bridge .. up for neck and center for both:D
  3. Which model RIC do yo have? The 4003? I have a 1980 year Model 4001. My pick-guard is in two pieces. The newer ones are one piece, so I can't help you with that part. As far as the selector switch: I keep both pick-ups turned on and then modify the tone to each with its own control. Get all you can get out of the thing! RICs are great instruments! I am very glad to have one. My other bass is a Warwick. Hard to decide which to play some times!
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Pictures people, pictures!
  5. That's kinda weird. My 1982 4001 has a one piece guard. I only remember early 4003's having the two piece guard. Not the 4001's. Around the mid 80's the 4003's get the one piece.
  6. take off the 4 big screws which hold the whole assembly to the body
    then take out the 2 screws which hold the pup and cover to the chrome plate
    take off the cover and put back the 2 bolts to the pup again.
    fix the assembly back on and set the pup height
    makes sure you refit the ground wire correctly
    if you slot the cover holes you can click it back on easily..and take it off.

your vol and tone and switch explanation sounds as if all is not well
    you should be able to isolate a pup by switching and not get any effect out of the one which is isolated.?
    my ric 4003 was like this and worked ok..
  7. Or you can look at the pretty pictures. :)

8. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    "First off---it's BEAUTIFUL"

And you would be taking the covers, a real part of the beauty, IMHO, off ................WHY?? :)

Do both you AND me a favor and play the bass JUST the way it is for a couple of weeks. You might find that it's pretty cool just the way it is. Having owned a number of wonderful Ric's, still do, actually, I can also tell you that once you begin messing with pick up heights, bad things often happen.

Line most often heard that I found confusing:

"I bought this great bass. It felt great, looked great and sounded fabulous in the store, so I HAD to get it.

"Now that I've got it, what kind of strings shall I put on? What pickups shall I change to? I'd like to get a REAL setup done on it as well".

It's always made me scratch my butt and say....Hmmmmmmm.

9. My 4001 came to me with the cover off. I put it back on last week. :) And it definitely is part of the beauty.

Nice color Rick, Jaswine. Is that Burgundy? Those limited ed. colors are so sweet. ;)
  10. Yup, its a Burg. VERY Beautiful in person...esp the see through aspect of it.

Plays like a dream!
  11. Leave the cover on!!!
  12. i eventually put the cover back on mine as well a la chris squire..it is part of the 'ric' look
    btw what have you done about the vol tone issue you mentioned
    wish i had got a bound ric like yours
    very nice
  13. is it really an issue? I mean...is there an actualy problem with it? It does contradict what it says in the manual, but people who posted above said thats how it is. Im confused..heh.
  14. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    YOS :rolleyes:
  15. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Is WHAT really an issue? :)

16. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003