Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my USACG parts in today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Nov 4, 2002.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...Woo Hoo. After what seems to have been ages upon ages, I finally pulled the trigger on a do-it-yourself aftermarket jazz, and have now successfully completed phase one....I just received my neck and body from Tommy at USA Custom Guitars. All I can say is that they got everything exactly right and do exceptionally high quality work. The body is two piece premium alder (medium weight) and looks great (although it will not receive a transparent finish), and all of the routing is sharp, crisp, and exact.
    The real deal, though, is the neck. I ordered a piece of quarter sawn Brazilian rosewood from one of the several major dealers who cater to acoustic guitar luthiers and specified exactly what I wanted. They did the trick, as the fingerboard turned out great...sight unseen until to day. I went for a two piece flatsawn maple neck in AAAAA birdseye maple. I was amazed at how light the neck is. The back of the neck and headstock are completely filled with clean, crisp, 3D birdseye figure and should really stand out once the finish is on. It has a std. truss rod, graphite reinforcement, and expertly installed vintage frets...awesome! The neck profile is even patterned after John Paul Jones's original jazz!
    Tommy and the guys at USACG were great and if I ever do another bass project (or guitar project, which I probably will), they will definately be my source for top-quality parts.

2. Eventualy I'm going to hit them up for a Bass VI project

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That should be a lot of fun. I think they do quite a lot of those, and I'm sure you'll have fun doing it!