Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got my Yamaha BBG4SII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lindset, Feb 8, 2002.

1. lindset

lindset Guest

Feb 1, 2002
    Alta, Norway
    Hi everyone!

I received my Yamaha BBG4SII (pearl snow white) yesterday.
    It looks good. It's a very comfortable bass.
    It has sounds great. I am very happy with it. :)

I don't have an amp yet, but I will purchase one as soon as I get the money.
    Can I just plug it into my receiver or computer (as a temporary solution)?

Do have any books or videos you recommend for a beginner like me? I don't know much music theory..
    Also.. do you have any other tips for me that can make my journey into the bass-world easier?

I think that's it..

2. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Welcome to the world of Bass!
    I started out just like you (not long ago). By the way, I have got exactly the same Bass as you - just in black. In my opinion it is one of the best basses you can get in that price range.
    First of all Talk Bass is a great source of information, but i guess you allready know that:p .
    If you want to get a little more into music theory check out Libster. Just start out with the reading course. You should get a metronome for that if you don't have one yet.

other sources of information:
    Cyberfret

Wheat

EDIT: Maybe you should start out practicing some basic techniqe before getting into that other stuff. I am talking about things like "how do I hold my bass right", etc. That is very important. Try to avoid bad habits right from the start or you will have a hard time latter on. Go to the Wheat link first. Somewhere in the first lesson there is some stuff covering basic playing techniqe. Once you got that down go to the Libster page. The rest of the Wheatbook can be a bit confusing at the beginning.
    And try to keep your thumb around the middle of the back of your neck. Try to put pressure on the strings by pulling with your shoulder, not by pressing your thumb into the neck.
    I feel like a pro saying this:D

3. Welcome to the dark side, my son..

The BBG4SII is a fine piece of bass indeed ! Myself, i have the BBG4AII, which is basicly the BBG4SII, but with transparant finish.

These basses are real nice for slapping :)

so.. what kind of strings did you put on your baby ? Yamaha has stainless-steel's on them by default, and that sounds great. ive got nickels on my BBG, but i think i'm going back to stainless real soon.. nickel just doesn't sound right to me, and stainless plays more comfortable imho.

kick *** !! another one who finally acknowledges the quality of Yamaha !

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a BBG5A (actually I have 2), great bass, sounds great, plays great, looks great. I don't play 5 string much anymore, but when I do its a BBG5A. So I guess I'm another one that "finally acknowledges the quality of Yamaha !".

5. lindset

lindset Guest

Feb 1, 2002
    Alta, Norway
    I have the default strings.. I love the sound of this bass! :cool:
    now about that amp stuff... anyone with knowledge on that area? :confused: :p :)

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I suppose... check out the Amps forum if you haven't already, we've got a number of knowledgeable guys hanging out there.

7. Hey, I have a BBG5a also! Mine is transparent blue finish with quilted maple top. I love that bass! Yamahas Rule!

I just bought a set of Deal Markley Blue Steel string from ebozz to put on it. It still has the factory strings installed, blue bass, blue strings :D

8. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    Huoh...I´´m still waiting my BBG5A AQ(Aquamarine)
    Yammie to arrive...feels like I just CAN´T wait it. I know it has already started its long trip from Germany to cold Finland, and if everything goes well, it should be in my hand at next week. But still this time feels sooo long:(...
    *says a man who haven´t got a chance to play over 2(!!!) weeks*
    And I also, as I´ve played RBX 260 over 3 years, can say that I do know Yamaha quality:).

9. Aquamarine eh ? :D

You mean something like this ?
    [​IMG]

10. The BBG is, indeed, a good line of Yamaha basses. Reminds my somewhat of my old BB1200S. Hope you enjoy it!

Yes, it's easy to play through your computer. You will need an adapter cord, $5 at Radio Shack. One end should fit the sound card line in jack and the other your bass jack. You might have to adjust your sound settings to play line-in signal, as opposed to mic-in, but that's fairly simple. I run my bass through the computer often. It started off that I did this to record some samples. Then I realized I could practice bass a bit while waiting for slow sites. (bass amp is not in the same room as computer)

11. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    "Aquamarine eh ? :D"

Exactly like that, except there are 5 strings, one knob more and its a bit more blue.

:cool:

There were one whole topic about it few days ago,
    where I asked opinions about that bass, so I think that at least AllodoX have seen it(´cause he was the only one who answered to it:) )

12. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
  13. Well.. mine is aquamarine.. so :)

14. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    Oh...well, towards that I go, then:).
    But I´ve thought all the time I´ve waited it that
    it is going to be more blue than the one you got.
    Or about that it looked like in the picture:confused: ...

15. i think it's the light.. sometimes it looks green, sometimes it's sky-blue.. really depends on the lightning

16. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    Cool, hehe, hehe.
    :cool:

17. I have a BBG4AII, got it for cheap from a guy who I'm almost certain needed drug money, but that doesn't matter so much. I like the tone on it, it's a good bass, especially for the price I paid for it. Watch it when you slap, though, I've bruised my thumb up good when I hit the corner of the pickups.

18. I play a BB-G5A as my primary bass too. Its got the transparent finish over the fake flame maple, looks pretty nice but I'm considering doing a bit of work to it over the summer.

I got a few beefs with it, a lot to do with the pickups, so I'm considering doing an EMG swap like another dude did, or possibly wind my own set. I'm not a real big fan of the B neither, so I'm thinking when I get another fretted (aiming to make a 6er soon), I'll knock together a fretless neck of about 35" scale, and/or try putting the threaded inserts things when Hambone does up his how-to thingy. That and I'm thinking of putting a pickguard of some kind on, that I'll probly do sometime soon.

Down, I also played a RBX-260 for the first three years of my playing, they're a real tidy bass. Mine's got an extra J in the bridge and a million stickers on it. Also only has 2 strings on it, broke the G so I took the E off so I don't twist the neck, then mum threw out the E. Now I have to save up to buy some new strings.

Yammaha make real sweet gear, especially for the price.

Josh D

19. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have a BBG5S, and found a swap to EMG's to be a major upgrade both in terms of sound quality and noise reduction. The sound was good before, it's great now. The Yamaha's are great basses to upgrade because the worst thing about them is the electronics, the construction is top notch.
    Post a pic, I'd love to see the new bass.