1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got new 5-string electric, now my amp is distorting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stormwriter, Mar 28, 2006.

1. stormwriter

stormwriter

Mar 25, 2005
    I've only played upright bass through my Gallien Krueger MB112, but now I got an electric today, thinking this little amp would do fine, but no matter what i do, there's a distortion type of sound. I'm sooooo new with electric basses, so i'm wondering what the hell the problem is.
    It's a Schecter Stilleto with active electronics.
    I can play a low E not very hard, and it sounds great, but pull it harder, and thats when that distortion happens. I wonder if i should just go out and buy a better electric amp? Ugh.

If you don't know the MB112, it has:

-10db pad
    - voicing filter
    - contour
    - high boost
    - all the EQ
    - boost
    - stereo chorus
    - output level
    - limiter level

Any help would be appreciated!

2. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Make sure you have a new battery in the Basses Preamp.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You might look at the battery in the bass, and pickup height. With flat EQ and low volume it shouldn't distort.

4. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    have you tried the 10db pad? that is usually to differenciate between an active and passive bass, your bass might be a little too hot for it at its current setting. you could just be playing too loud for the amp though. is it a really rough distortion, or just a little edgy?

5. stormwriter

stormwriter

Mar 25, 2005
    I replaced the battery, and that made a little bit of a difference.
    It almost sounds like my speaker is blown, but its not. That same type of sound. I'm in an apartment right now, so its quiet as can be. Even with the volume turned down low, it still distorts. Has to be overloading it somehow. I'll keep monkeying with it. I'll put it through my mini PA, bypassing the amp, and see what happens.

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Try the pad, sounds like you are clipping the input stage.

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Sometimes, the input is just too hot. I have a bass that no matter if I pad my GK, it just farts. I simply have to run it at less than full volume, or defeat the preamp. Some amps just don't have the headroom for some of today's modern active electronics...

The good news is that unlike a passive instrument, an active one won't sound much worse at less-than-full volume.

8. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Back off your preamp. This usually takes care of distortion. I find that the 10db pad can wreck your sound. The other thing could be that you're plucking too hard. Take it easy.