Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got offered a sweet gig... finally!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jan 23, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was playing pool today in the student union and this guy I met once before briefly came up to me and asked me if I wanted to play out in his band. I was hesitant because I was all set to start some originals with a friend of mine, but then I found out we would be getting some sweet cash! Apparantly this GB cover band had a following for about a year but then broke up, and now wants to get back together minus one guitar and bass player, and he heard I would work well to fill in the gap.

Now, I've been in cover bar bands before, and while I hesitate to do covers, the financial reality sank in when he told me the band asked (and got) $700-800 a gig, minus $300 for a sound guy. :eek: They've played at Summerfest (Wisconsinites know that's a big deal), and while I know we won't start off that well since they've taken a break, we're under the same name and should be getting some decent cash. Being the poor college student I am, I quickly (yet smoothly) accepted. He's mailing me the set list tonight.

Hot damn.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hot damn.

3. GB?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Green Bay.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ain't nothing wrong with cover bands. Good for you!

Off to Bass Humor and Gig Stories.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I'd like to day, congrats! And as long as you have a simmilar thread:

My band got the position as house band at a local rave/teen hang out. It's pretty cool. We are the opening and/or closing act, and we cycle in and out bands. The thing starts on the 1st, and from there, it's anywhere from 2 to 4+ gigs a month, all with different bands, and different crowds each show. Stability, and a decent place to work on the stage show/chops. Not bad.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I didn't know that doing cartwheels, and yelling, "Kiss my butt world, for I am the man!" counted as "smoothly accepting the gig"! :D

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thank you for bringing that up, jazzbo!!! IME, people in party-animal clubs aren't particularly interested in hearing all originals. They can't very well dance to a tune when they don't know where the beat is going.

Besides, who says you have to ape the bass lines on the recordings??? I sure don't. So be proud and play it loud!

You go, girl!!!

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey SuperDuck, can you divulge the name of said band? Seeing as how I live in Appleton, I'm wondering if I've ever heard of them.

Go Rams!

Go Pats!

10. Appleton eh?

11. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Couldn't "GB" also mean General Business (weddings, b-mitzvahs, funerals) like the term they use up yonder in Boston? Maybe...

Congrats on the gig!

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The name of the band is Borealis.

And Woodchuck, that's why I do these business transactions over the PHONE. That way, they at least think I'm smooth. ;)

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hey brendan, where is this place? jeez, you've been here all of eight months and accomplished more than i could in so many years! sure motivates me to pursue a rock band (but then again, i kinda don't like many guitar players...)

oh yeah, congrats whomever on whatever you did...
    ;)

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Brad...it's all about networking. Networking and just being really motivated. We'd already be doing this, but our quest for a singer lasted a coupl of months longer than expected. Had we been able to get ahold when we really wanted one bad...we would have been out and gigging in November!

The place is Gamers HQ on Monroe, offa US1 down in Stuart. WE have a show with Striknyne (very creative misspelling, btw) on Friday, and then on the 23rd, we have a show w/ Dark Faith, Dead Stuff and Sadistic Artistry, then another show on the following week w/ Dark Faith again. Plus other shows whenever we can get em.

And if that doesn't cook your noodle: my drummer's mother makes recording software, and owns her own recording studio, so we get FREE recording time, and as much of it as we want/need. Plus, she knows/talks with the guys from Pantera, Primus, Steve Vai, and some others. We're well connected!

Am I evil? Just a smootch.

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    SD -- I have heard of Borealis. I saw them play their last opening show before going on their own. I'll definately wanna come see you guys when you get it all together! Please PM me with some show dates, okay?

I tried to get with them when their band first disbanded, but was told by their manager that they had each gone their seperate ways and were not looking to reform Borealis. Be careful, I think Randy Bowles is a pr*ck! :mad:

By the way, kameleyon -- I guess GB could mean "general business," but if you live in Wisconsin, GB always means "Green Bay!"

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, I have been to Appleton every other year or so for a while. One of my good friends lived there. He just moved to Menasha, however. Small world!

:)

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow man, small world. I'm not sure about gigs just yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out. I'm practicing with them for the first time tonight; it should be pretty exciting.

18. Hmmmm !!

$800 minus $300 for sound guy = $500 divided by lets say 4 musicians = $125.

I would take the sound guys slot ! :D

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

....and you'll also take the chicks that the band rejected... arf! arf! :D

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, I AM a sound guy and I WISH I got that kinda scratch for doing a show. :D But alas, a good chunk of that money is apparantly for renting any gear that needs to be rented so that we have a quality PA system.