Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got out of the studio, check it out(funk/fusion stuff)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by narud, Sep 14, 2004.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so, my group just went and did a quickie demo on sunday at the home studio of another local group. we went in and did it live and the playing could have been better, but alas, it is what it is. lets just say im happier with my writing than our playing :D

lucky charms
    tuxedo shirt
    jeckl and hyde

its not too bad considering we just learned the first tune the day before the recording. the solos got a bit stiff as almost everyone started blowing takes as red light fever set in so everyone was more worried about getting through the tune than taking a great solo.

any comments welcome :bassist:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im diggin it :)

I like the tone in your bass and the playing is great. I think it could stand to come up in the mix a bit but maybe thats a bass player thing lol.

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    cool grooves - very yellowjackets/spro gyra/rippingtons.

I can hear a fodera a mile a way? Am I right? Sweet & meaty with a nice upper mid snap. Quite nice.

You guys are tight too - excellent playing.

Prod wise - it's got a project studio vibe - but like you said - it's a demo - and you can certainly use it to get gigs.

Nice work all around!

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if you can tell that was a fodera by just hearing that you must have better ears than me because wouldnt have been able to tell :D

anyway, thanks for listening guys.

5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    great! i like it a lot. something i can dance to.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ...the thumb says all, I think. Really cool stuff!

With a better bass tone it would have SMOKED! :bag: :D

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Joe, Joe, Joe.... I've said before and I'll say it again. You are beyond your years compositionally. I really like what you're doing. Remember me when you have a product, I would like to have it.
    I really like your tone. Oddly enough it sound a lot like mine eventhough they have totally different woods. What strings do you use?

8. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I have a love/hate relationship with fodera tone. I tend to love it when other people are playing one - but when I play it - it never feels or sounds like "me". :meh: Or - at least - how I want me to sound. If that makes any sense.

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i just sent you a pm about the dvd.

ive been using dr high beams for years now. the strings on both basses (jeckl and hyde is your old F) are about 5 months old. the nuances of wood choice is something i learned to stop worrying about a while ago. unless its something like a gnarly heavy northern ash bass i cant really tell in a mix. hell, mike pope is playing on this video with the dual coils split to single and soloing the bridge pickup for the most part. the tone is pretty much exactly what mine sounds like when i run it that way and he's using a koa body with a maple board.

and thanks again for the kind words about the writing. i dont know if ill ever have a product because im never happy enough line up wise to really feel comfortable dropping a ton of cash. we're on our second guitarist and third horn player in the last few months! the keyboard player in this lineup is moving to la to go to school next year and im thinking about finding an excuse to go myself.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Awesome stuff. The tunes and your playing both kick a&$. I hope they're not growing a bunch more like you out there because you're frightening! Don't fire the horn player!

Keep it up and don't forget us little people!

W

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The F sounds really tasty so far. . .very nice playing too!

12. :cool:

Your playing and your band inspire me :) .

13. do you have a cd ready yet?

i really really want one!

14. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    +1!!

man that was sweet.. i've love to play for a group like that, dont know if my chops can live up though :meh:

15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I like that first track - good stuff.

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Great grooves man, tight bass playing, and some great tone. Whats not to like? I liked all the tunes. As you said the solos seemed a bit stiff... but I know how it goes when you're trying to get a solo down in the studio

17. that's a demo? sheesh! very cool all around. and i love where the bass is in the mix. i can hear every note you're playing, and everyone else's too :) good recording man!

18. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Damn, I really dig this..get some CD's out man, this is some funky stuff.

Did you play direct, or through an amp/preamp?

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i used the direct out of my eden wt 800 since i was playing through that and my epifani 410 cab in the room we were in.

again thanks for all the kind words guys. finding guys that are willing to play this stuff and keeping a group together is pretty tough, but its fun regardless. :bassist: