1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just got Squier VM fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atom1962, Sep 27, 2008.

1. atom1962

atom1962 Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    Indianapolis. indiana
    hi fellow fretless bass players.
    i bought this freless bass 2 days ago, and i tell you, i really like it.
    i know it is pretty popular bass / the price is great/.
    some people are changing pickups, one guy is very big on Bartolini 9J1 -ups. shall i change p-ups also? is it worth it?
    what about strings? i put flats on mine, but roundwounds sounded bit better, i dont know....
    any suggestions guys?thanks

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    This is kind of like asking someone else if you should get extra cheese on your pizza ... only you can decide.

Play it for a while & let it grow on you. You might decide the stock p/up's are fine.

GAS and the desire to mod are powerful forces ... but try to resist long enough to make a true evaluation of what you really want from this bass.

FWIW, the stock p/up's are still in mine and I went back to rounds for it. ;)

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Do you prefer vanilla or chocolate? ;)

Play it a bunch, change strings and play it a bunch more. Let YOUR EARS decide which you prefer.

Have fun with your new bass!!!

4. As has already been said, that's for you to decide. It already sounds like to me you prefer the rounds. Go ahead and play the flats. They may grwo on you for that bass. But if not, go back to the roundwounds.

As for the pups, if you prefer the sound of other makes, go ahead. However, if the pups sound really good to you, then by all means keep the ones you have. :cool:

Do play it for a while as is before making up your mind. Then do what your ears tell you to do. ;)

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I just got one as well. I was sure I'd put flats (I still may) but the rounds sound OK, too. I was sure I'd get hum canceling pups, but the stock pups are OK for now.

I usually switch stuff before I really listen. This time - except maybe the strings as I want an "upright" vibe - I'm gonna let it simmer for a while. Just because something doesn't work for other people doesn't mean it can't for you.

Enjoy the bass.

6. atom1962

May 21, 2006
    Indianapolis. indiana
    not bad advice so far.....waiting for more.
    thanks guys

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    One thing I'll add about pickups, humcanceling pickups can really change the character of a fretless bass. I really prefer the single coil sound, but naturally you'll get some hum when you favor one pickup over the other. I generally favor the bridge pickup, in fact I often turn the volume all the way off on the neck pickup. I've learned to just live with the hum, because I just love that single coil grindy mwah.

Naturally, your tastes could be totally the opposite of mine! :D

Anyway, again, I'd play the bass as is for a good while before making any pickup purchases.

Again, have a blast with your new bass!

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Damn nice basses, especially for the money. I just wish they came without lines.:meh:

9. atom1962

May 21, 2006
    Indianapolis. indiana
    Just put brand new Bartolini 9J1 on that fretless bass, and i did not like them at all....not at all.
    30 minutes later i went back to original pickups and Bartolini 9J1 are going for sale.....good i know how to solder so well.

10. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I am looking at getting one of these... interested in the pickup switch as well.

11. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I really like mine, but the pickup hum makes it unusable in certain situations. I plan to install hum-cancelling pickups when I get a chance. It depends on the room I guess or your proximity to lights or other electrical circuits.

It's a really nice bass though, especially for the money. I played mine non-stop for about 4 days after I first got it, couldn't put it down. If you like the Jaco sound, it can do that. Mine came with flats.

12. RBasss

RBasss

Dec 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    East Coast Sales Coordinator - Crafter Guitars
    I feel like an idiot for saying this but I didn't know you could put roundwounds on a fretless. Doesn't that kind of take away the point of having no frets? Stupid question I know, but if someone could explain a little more about the sound differences I'd be interested to know. Thanks.

13. I agree. Lets hope this doesn't degenerate into a lines vs no lines pissing contest.