1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just got swr 350 need cab to add to Tech Soundsystems 2-12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gintaras, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just got a 350 (red face) on tuesday and went out to a jam session that night with my Tech Soundsystems Ct2000 (it has 2-12" with one loaded on an angle and giving the physical illusion of a 1-12) It is an 8 ohm cab and thinking about getting either a SWR JR II 4 ohm or an Avatar 2x10 4 ohm. Will the tech cab be heard since it is 8 ohms. I will usually only use one of these cabs depending on the needs of the the gig but want to make sure that the unit functions well with both cabs.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the Schroeder Cabinets are of similar design to the old Tech stuff, one front faced one angled... if you want something similar.

If I was you I'd get a second 8 ohm cab that way you can run both together and have it be a 4 ohm total load. Mixing 8 and 4 together brings you to like 2.6 ohms (I think) and that is a bit low for most amps.

3. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I just got a avatar neo 2x12 4 ohm to go with my old swr 350 redface. I needed the 2x12 for my new 6 string and the 4ohm cab for my head so I can get a decent amount of head room out of it (350watts). I havent tried the cab yet in practice but at home its got a lot more boom then my avatar 2x10 pro 8ohm. My only question now is that im wondering if my 350 head is suitable for low B basses, just not sure yet? I could always use my 2000rb head which I know can put out any low freq required, but its more then 2x the weight and I dont think I need all that volume for this funk band Im doing on the side.
    But for you I would try and get one 4ohm cab and stay away from just one 2x10 4ohm unless you always play in low volume settings. Im hoping the 2x12 is all Ill ever need, but well see next week at practice?

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Here is a direct quote in an earlier post from Flash99. "Most bass amps have a low cut filter that kicks in somewhere around 20-30hz. 30 hz (I think) is a low B on a 5 string. Humans can't hear below 20 hz. SWR amps do not have that low cut filter so what happens is, an SWR amp will be using a lot of it's power to push low end that we don't hear (though we may feel it) and the frequencies that we do hear won't be as loud because all the power is going into the lower ones. The SM900 seems to me to be about as loud as a typical 300 watt bass amp and the lower powered models are just not loud enough. And on a side note, SWR amps will blow aluminun Hartke speakers because they can't handle those ultra low frequencies. Harke (at least used to) print a warning about this in their manuals but if you evercalled and asked SWR about this, they would tell you that Hartke cabinets were made wrong." I also read that getting lows from that head is more of a function of the cab then the head. The head is quite capable of a low B. I have been trying to read everything I can about the SWR 350 this week including an earlier post about 'ohms' which went on forever. And James thanks for the info on the Schroeder's. I went to look at them and looks like a mirror image of the Tech. I would love to see a diagram of the inside of the schroeder to see how similar or disimilar they are.

5. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Just a thought, but what if you put in a pair of neo 8ohm 12" speakers into your tech cab, giving you a 4ohm cab?

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    James mentioned the Schroeder's and I went on thier web site and saw that they had a similar cab configuration with the Neo's. There is a thread on this site about upgrading the speakers on the Tech cabinet but the owner did not go through with it. I will probably need some help on speaker choices since matching cabs to speakers seems to be a science that I am just starting to grasp. It would also make that cab 20 lbs lighter!!!! Of course I will need to start a thread with some of the speaker guru's on talkbass. I am going to open the cab this week and get some measurements.
    Well here I go, another project!!!!!!

7. I had a newer silver face 350 and paired it with an Acme 2/x, 1x5 and tweeter. Worked good for hi-fi sound.

Used a Carvin 5 string and Jazz bass and sounded good.

I think a 2x 12 would be really good, or 1x12 and 2x10 (8ohm each).