Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Got the Best Bass Ever Made!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, May 6, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

OK, well maybe I'm a little biased.

My Roscoe SKB-3005 fretless just arrived at my office this morning. It's really beautiful. I've only had about 5 minutes to play it unplugged, but it sounds great (unplugged) and plays like a dream!

It's a Roscoe SKB-3005 fretless with:
    -black diamond wood fretboard and side lines like what Joe Zon and George from F bass both do
    -Cobalt blue quilted maple top
    -matching head stock
    -demeter preamp
    -diamond wood nut

I've got my amp in the car. As soon as I finish today, I'm bringing it in, turning it up and playing!

I've got to go back to work, but I'll post pictures this weekend and give an update once I get to play it a little.

2. Sounds like a sweet bass ! cant wait for pics.......groove on

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Congratulations :bassist:

You'll never get any work done today anyway ... you'll be thinking about the bass and not be able to concentrate ... so why not just take the rest of the day off and play that sucker :D

Thta's what I did when my FBB fretless 6 was shippped to my office .... ;)

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice! can't wait to check out the pix.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new Roscoe....now snap some photos so we can check it out! :smug:

6. Bassmanbob

I have appointments every 15 minutes till 5:00PM. If I cancel appointments, I won't make money for any more new basses!

Gotta go :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Go ahead and give the wife a few $$$'s and tell her to go shopping! You need some quality time alone with that bass! :D
    Congratulations! Is it as pretty as Gard said it was?
    We obviously need to see some pictures! :hyper:

8. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Whew...I had to call home to make sure my Marchlewski was still in the case.

Yours sounds pretty nice though. ;)

9. Bassmanbob

OK. It's 1:00 AM and I just stopped from playing it for 4 hours straight. I'm in muah heaven! My wife and kids went to bed early (Yeah!-- it's amazing how well Benedryl in the soda works--just kidding) and I plugged it into my Pandora's Box.

It sounds great on the head phones, but I'll plug it in to my amp tomorrow (later today) and see how it sounds. But man, it plays great. The action is real low- it's lower than I normally like it, but it's not buzzing or anything. This bass plays like a dream come true. I love my fretted Roscoe 6, but this may take the cake. We'll see after the honeymoon is over.

I'm also not finding it too difficult with the transition from fretted to fretless. I played most of the time with the tuner turned on to see how well I was doing. Surprisingly, I was either in tune or very close a large majority of the time.

My next post will include pictures tomorrow.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Enough new Roscoes already!!!!! :mad: :p ;)
    Seems like everyone but me is getting one. I think it is time to pick up the phone and call Gard. Or Jay. Or Adrian. Or anyone who can get me the SKB3006 that I want.
    Seriously, though, congrats. It is the weekend now, and I want some pics.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Wouldn't the effects of both the Benedryl and the caffine from the soda cancel out the effects so to speak? It seems as though every time I take a Benedryl, I feel like it's time to go to sleep. I'd love to find a way to take during the day so I don't fall asleep.

Sweet bass! I'm amazed by the Roscoe fretless sound every time I play mine as well.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    No, but it gives sleep walking a whole new meaning.

13. How much do new SKB 3004, 5, and 6's run?

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've never priced the 3004 but the 3005's go new for anywhere from $2,250 to $2,800 depending on options. The 3006's are $100-200 more. I prefer the used market. Most players take particuarly good care of Roscoes (and all high end basses). IMO a used Roscoe for $1,600 - $1,900 is the best bang for the buck in the used bass market. Lately though, they do seem to be getting harder to find .

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, they used to pop up on Ebay more in the past than they do now. I can still hope to find a used/like new 3006, but finding one in the wood combos that I want is gonna make it that much harder. So, I am probably going to end up having to order a new one here shortly. Oh well, at least I can get it EXACTLY how I want it then. ;)

EDIT: Hmm, just went and checked Ebay, and there are two on there right now.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...as a matter of fact, you might even be able to get someone at Roscoe to hand-pick your top for you...

:ninja:

...it's good to see you back around, Ryan!

:)

17. Bassmanbob

Guys:

Sorry aboutnot posting pictures yet. I have some really great shots of the fretless and also my 3006 too. I just am trying to compress them so they won't take up too much space. My friend showed me on Jasc Paint Pro Shop, but I've forgotten how. He's coming to my house on Tuesday to help with a few other problems with my computer. I'll have him show me again, and I'll have the pictures up late Tuesday night.

This bass is great!

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you'd like, I can tell you how to do it with Paint Shop or Irfanview in about 30 seconds if you'd like.

19. Was it from one of those blue flamed maple tops that they had displayed on the site? Man, I want a Roscoe baaad. I played a used 3000 (at $1100 without a scratch or dent!), and it was probably the best tone I've ever heard out of a bass in my life, and a fantastic feel along with it.

20. Bassmanbob

It is similar to the one on the Roscoe site gallery (I think page 2). The picture is a six string, but mine is a 5. My coblat blue stain is just a shade darker than the picture.