Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got the Fender Bassman 135...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Dec 20, 2003.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    and I must say that now I understand why it's the most copied design in the world. I tried it out at guitar center in an isolation room with an ampeg 410, and first off, it's LOUD. Way louder than a B2R (not hard). Also, it sounds great with a guitar as well. Very thick sound. The guitar channel sounds better overall for bass, maybe because I like OD in my bass sound. It's a boat anchor though, and a lopsided one at that. The transformer along with everything else is on one side, with only one handle on top, making it very awkward to carry. It has some Groove Tubes in it, which sound fine. But once they die, i'm gettin some JJs for it. :cool:

I got it from guitar center, from the one knowledgeable salesperson there (the rest are idiots), and originally it was $399. But it was a little beat up, and there was a backround buzz, so we haggled it down to $349. Once I get my avatars, i'm gonna see if the buzz was just because of bad power at Guitar Center, or if it's something wrong with the amp. But overall, i'm VERY excited about my purchase. :D

Oh by the way, this means I won't be getting that Yorkville head anymore.

2. yay, no more review nagging :) . congrats, hope you enjoy.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You're not gonna get out of it that easily! Now write that review! *cracks whip* :mad:

:D

4. I have a bassman 135, and I love it.
    Feed it good bass, it spits it out even better.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Love mine too, my favorite amp so far. Couple it with a modern cab, something with decent sensitivity and xmax and it's a great rig. The only downside I can see is the lopsided thing, I've considered moving the handle on mine to the center of balance which would mean it'd be over to one side of the head but would balance when you picked it up but have never done it. Great tone, great guitar tone too, it'll squash a marshall in that department, great clean sound, likes pedals. The only other thing I considered was having the deep switch replaced with one that had a little less bass boost or a adjustable 50hz knob or something but haven't done that either, sounds good like it is.

6. Hi.

Congrats, the 135 is a great amp. IMO one trick pony, but a really good one at that.

I had one many years ago but for a several reasons sold it.

If the "buzz" You described is more like a hum, there's the hum balance control somewhere in the chassis and that can or can't improve things a bit.

What I don't get, is how cheap those old (70's ;) ) tube amps seem to be in the states. We have to pay about twice the amount in euros here in europe and not too many around anyway. I sold mine (cheap) some 13 years ago for about the amount You paid for yours.

Sam

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Sean sold his years ago.... bought my Sunn Sceptre which he pushed through a Weber loaded 2x15" or a 4x12" non-tweeter Schroeder.