Just got the ME-50B..mmmmm....??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nonohmic, Mar 10, 2006.

1. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Hey all,

I know theres a heck of a lot of stuff in here on this pedal but i need some secondary opinions on this unit (positive or negative, its all good).

Just got it a week ago after searching for a while and I have to say I'm regretting not just buying something like an aphex bass xciter.

The synth sounds are average at best, i feel the same about the compressors. The pedal could come in handy maybe but so far seems superfluous.

On the plus side, i like the modulation, the distortions are nice and the tone settings are cool.

So i guess half a multi-fx pedal is okay?! Or maybe i need more than a week and a half to make up my mind?:eyebrow:

What do you reckon?

Cheers, nonohmic.
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I've had one for four months and I really like it. I only use two presets, though - a straightforward tone with chorus added, and the same straightforward tone with the defret option added...I have little use for the overdrive effects, though some of them are tasty. The onboard tuner is excellent. I run my ME50B between my bass and amp, and the Aphex XCiter in the effects loop. Best sound I've ever had.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have a GT-6B and I think that the synths are pretty good if properly configured (sensitivity sensing needs to be changed for every bass you use though :meh: ). If all you needed was a bass exciter, then you kinda did a bit of overkill. Try playing with the reverbs a bit and the delays and chorus, and see if it has an effect called "Enhance". The compressors feel more like an effect on my -6B rather than a tonal element. I am thinking of getting a compressor to add into my rig for recording and live maybe. I also want to get an exciter of some sort for the FX loop.
  4. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    half sounds about right from my own experience with the same unit. but half is also a lot better than what you would get from most other multi-effects, if not, ... every other multi effects.

i personally only found the drive section and volume pedal as the features i used regularly. the synths, phaser, compressor, eq, oct down and a couple others i cant remember were no good in my book, and the flanger, octave up, and delay were used occasionally....

if i didnt already have a couple seperates already, i would consider owning one,....

i guess you can use up as much time you ahve left on your return policy to find out if you want to keep it. at teh very least it'll help you know what you're really looking for in seperates
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you bought it for the synth sounds, you'll understandably be feeling disappointed. I've never found any multifx with synth sounds as good as stand alone synth pedals - korg g5, deep impact etc.
    Like Mr Vice, I use mostly for eq, volume, overdrive and it fits those needs very nicely.
  6. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Cheers guys,

I think i need to find my tone so its kind of experimentation at the moment. Obviously with bucket loads of cash it would be an extreeeeemely fun thing to do, but on a budget I guess I'm doing the right thing.

I'll give it time.

And there are some cool things on there, and some crazy, like too crazy things on there as well!
  7. Sherwood

Mar 17, 2006
    Beijing, PRC
    I bought an ME-50B for a song a few months back and I gave it a real fair shake, but I was unimpressed. As has been often mentioned, the synth sounds are simply atrocious, but there wasn't really anything I was downright thrilled with. The chorus was reasonably good, but the delay was clunky not very usable in a live "tapped-in" environment. The final nail in the coffin was the fact that it was just too noisy on my rig, and the bypass wasn't very faithful to my tone. I hope you have better luck with your pedal, but even if it doesn't do the trick for you, you'll at least get a better idea of what you want.
  8. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i just bought one a few days ago, i only needed strings but in needed extra money to get the 12 month no interest, i love it so far i have never used effects before i doubt i will ever use it for a band song but the compressor and the tuner will do well. gotta love the bass drum though.
  9. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Mr.Wilson quoted me right. I would add that the delay (flanger/chorus/ect) is excellent. (Not surprising as it Boss's specialty). The compressor is adequate, in that it only has two parameters: a threshold/sustain knob and a level knob. That said, I use minimal compression and it does the job.

The big strength of the ME-50 is synergy: the sum is greater than the parts. Being able to save a sound that combines any or all of the effects, save them, and recall them at the touch of a footswitch is a huge convenience.

Also, the more effect units you have in your signal chain, the greater the chance of something going wrong. I have taken my Akai Deep Impact and parametric EQ out of my live pedal board and rely on my ME-50 for synth and mid-scoop. Not as good but I appreciate the simplicity and programmability.

The Aphex bass exciter is something completely different. You can't compare the two.
  10. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I didnt mean to compare the Bass Exciter to the Me-50.
    I was just questioning whether I needed all those effects or if a nice tone was more valuable.
    But as it turns out, with a bit of subtlety with the fx you can get some nice tones.
  11. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004

I have been accused of being an “effect junkie” of suffering from G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome). My defense is that I use everything sparingly.

Ultimately it comes down to creating the sound in your head and that sound being appropriate for thee context of what you are playing.

Everything from a minor tone adjustment to simultaneous use of distortion and delay and EQing to fall under this.

Remember you don’t have to bring everything you own to every gig!

BTW, I got an Aphex Exciter a month ago and it is now part of my core set-up. The sonic qualities of my bass rig is better than it’s ever been.
  12. What about the tuner! And the 2sec looping function? And the headphone jack (for late night practising)? And the line in jack (to put a metronome through the bass amp for the band rehearsals)?

I love mine. I love walking in to a place with my bass and ME-50B and getting my sound with the amp provided. I love sending a slightly compressed and EQ'd sound to the soundman. I love sending a signal into a DJ mixer and jamming along with the records - I've found that the first factory patch is amazing with my Lakland 5 fretless and a club house system,... you really need a lot of compression to "mix" into the records. I love playing with my rock band and setting up 3 different EF pedals (T.Wah Up, Overdrive and Chorus&Reverb) and stomping on them when I need them and not having to worry about batteries.

I've switched to an OLP Music Man copy 5 string with a Nordstrand pickup into the ME-50B with a touch of compression, bass & treble boost and into the amp provided. If I'm using my own, it's all controls at 12 o'clock on the SWR SM900 and I send a pre EQ signal out of the amps DI. Clean, solid and clear.
  13. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    I have an ME-50B and I find it pretty mediocre. It was cool at first, but now its not as exciting. The distortion modes are cool, along with some of the modulation effects, but everything else is pretty dissapointing. The built in tuner is probably my favorite feature.
  14. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    You are lucky if you found something good on the factory presets. I found that they were just all over the place. Great to demo the unit's capabilities but not something that is 'gig ready'

This is not a complaint agianst the ME-50 or any multi-effects units but there is a learning/experience curve in learning how each effect works individually and then together.

Once I learned to appeciate the subties of the effects the 24 patch memory filled up quickly as I wanted a seprate patch to emulate the sounds of Jack Bruce/Cream, Geddy Lee/Rush, Geezer Butler/Black Sabbath, ect.
  15. bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    In my opinion, I think the bass itself and even more so, the pickups have a lot to do with how your bass sounds through any effects pedal. I have been using the ME-50b for a couple months now, and I have to say for the money and features it is pretty hard to beat. Yeah the synths are not the best I have heard but nor are they the worst. I think it is a good medium throughout the system, more overall quality, not just picking out a single effect and say it's no good. It is a very easy to use unit and again, in MY opinion it's tough to beat for the price. The compression is awesome, and I believe it adds a whole new presence to my bass. But what I was saying about the pickups and stuff, I have mismatched pickups. I have my stock esp (sb-4 I think) for neck and a EMG hz for my bridge. I have found that the EMG sounds much better than the esp for the synth. It seems to synch up with the synths, I guess because of the tone. It has better attack and seems to just pickup the sound a lot better and clearly. My esp wants to muddy up the synth so it sounds like I am playing soft or something when I am not so I can't get the same full sound out of the effect. On the flip side the esp sounds a lot better on effects like natural, and most of the filter/tone settings. Thus before we go off ragging on this stuff, you need to consider exactly what you are hooking up to it. Boss ME-50B, it's cool in my book.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have had mine for some time now, but still haven't really gotten into tweaking my own patches yet. I have found some stand alone effects that seem to sound really good, as others have mentioned, but I still need to do the tweaking and saving to get the unit gig-ready.

I have owned several effects pedals in the past, and used to carry along a pretty large pedal board with me. Sounded great, but I did have problems in the chain before, and finding it can be a real pain mid-gig. The Boss unit solves this problem for me. And I am not a big effects user anymore, so it works great for me.
  17. Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've got a GT-6B, its got more than what the ME50B has but I'm not quite sure what all the 50B does not have. I have had mine for a little more than a year now and must say that I was not overly enthused about it at first, mainly because I was like 400 dollars for this? But after a while and after erasing most of the factory presets I finally found sounds and tones that I like. I use mine for only like two different types of effects but those two "patches" use multiple effects in each with different amounts. I run one patch, that is my main playing patch which has reverb, chorus, and the "fx-2" patch of 2x2 chorus as well, and light compression. My second patch that I use is a heavy distortion tone. It has more than just that though to make the tone sound decent, I run heavy compression, with distortion, with a little bit of chorus on that. I also like how you can tweak the settings of various effects to be different types of units, though I'm not sure if the GT-6B does that. I just recently started using the buiilt in tuner and I like it better than my rack mounted Sabine unit, seems like it responds a lot faster. I have also used on occasion the WAH pedal effect but thats mostly for fun and like an ending to a song for my band. I like how its all one unit, its nice to just setup that and be done instead of a whole pedal board. Also its nice having all the outputs on the unit--at home I use mine as a preamp to record though at band practive I use the mass of connections to run the unit through the effects loop on my amp and to also send a signal to my wireless in-ear-monitor. Overall I am happy with this purchase, though that took many months of playing around with the unit to decide. If you can save settings on the 50B unit then that would be really cool, I don't remember if you can but I love that capability with my gt-6b unit.

18. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Yeah its growing on me after 2 months. Not really doing what I thought it might but starting to love it for more reasons.

Might go to Guitar Rig 2 yet though.
  19. akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    Has any used the "Innovative Sound Hold function sustains a low note while playing over it" feature much? Is it effective?

What other single pedal may do this?

20. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Havent got into it. But havent seen it anywhere else