Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just got the muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by violatedppl, Aug 25, 2005.

1. today I got a russian big muff. The thing is great for dist/fuzz still havent tried it with my wah but I expect some good things out of it. now just to sell that old dod. I never knew how much low end that thing sucked out until I tried the muff. the obd-3 really didnt do it for me and I got the muff for $44 NIB.

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I <3 my Muff :D

3. +1

:hyper:

4. +1

:bassist:

5. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    did you specifically choose the russian over the usa? curious to know the difference.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1 on the Muff..

I run Bass -> Muff -> 105Q :bassist:

Can you say Growl? :hyper:

7. it was mainly price. the usa was almost twice as much and the russian sounded really good. so. I didnt think the extra $35 would make that big of a diff.

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I have the Russian Muff and a guitar playing friend of mine has the USA Muff. So far I've only heard the USA with his Les Paul.

Can anyone describe the tone difference I should expect between the USA and the Ruskie?

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    uhm.. you have both...

borrow your friend's and do a head-to-head comparison!

10. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Could you by any chance post a clip of you wahing with the muff on???

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    :p I definitely will, but I guess I should have mentioned he lives roughly a 12 hour drive away. :( There will be an A/B comparison in the, hopefully, near future, but I really don't know when.

12. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* yes... that makes more sense that you haven't done that!

13. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I want to in the near future. I *might* be able to do it this weekend while I am in the studio...

I need to do several clips:
    Russian Muff/Wah
    Hot Tubes
    Hot Tubes/Wah
    Russian BB
    USA BB
    Russian BB/USA BB at the same time (sweeeeet sounds)

oh.. and my EXP's on my AEB... *blaaah*

14. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I think the Hot Tubes is one of the more underrated pedals for bass, I'm going to drop the cash on one someday.

15. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    All around, EHX makes awesome gear...

I'd love to get my hands on more of it... I've borrowed Small Stones and Small Clones.. I'd love to get a Microsynth...

I think much of their gear is on par with some of the boutique stuff that runs several times more...

16. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    Can I slightly hijack this thread? I've got the Russian Big Muff, and I'm finding I don't use it much because I don't like to turn it off and leave the battery in while playing clean, so what's happened is that I just don't use it. As far as I can understand I need to mod it slightly to support the 9v power supply. I'm looking on Google, but with not much luck so far. Does anyone have a link to how to do it?

17. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Godlyke Powerall or OneSpot..

Both have a battery clip attachment. That's how I power mine.

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Oh man, I have those two in my effects chain. Yeah, growl, and then insane sustain/feedback sounds. It's a great way to end a really big, intense song. Get that sound sustaining and then just mute it off. EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooowww KaCHNK.

19. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    get yourself a boss type battery input from your local electronics shop, , cut off the battery clip and solder the red wire to the external side of the boss input and the black wire on the pin in the middle of the boss input, and Voila!

20. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    BY the way!! EHX rocks ass!!