Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Got the SB112!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just got my Avatar SB112 (came 2 days earlier than Fed Ex originally said, woohoo :hyper: ). Anyway, just hooked it up and farted around with it for about an hour. It is deeper than my CB112 and a lot deeper than my B210 (stacked on top in the picture). I'm going to take to practice Monday night. I'll give you full details after than as well as band member feedback. So far so good though! I like that Avatar has now added speakon connectors (their older cabs did not have this) and also a cleaner, smaller knob on the horn adjuster (the older one was too big and stuck out too far and was prone to potentially breaking or bending the shaft). See ya! :bassist:

Click the thumbnail below for a larger picture

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Good on ya, mate! The SB112 is a nice little cab! Nice deep response but I did find that is was not as loud alone as the B210. They definitely need to be paired together to make an impact. It does handles my low B very well. It's also loud enough for jazz and r&b type gigs if used alone.

3. Quadzilla

Well, jammed last night with the guys(still recovering from the jager!). Anyway, all I can say is WOW! The combination of the 2x10 and the 1x12 blew me away. My low B was clean, clear and crisp. As for the mids, the 2x10's added the need punch that the 1x12 lacks. My drummer said my rig sounded great. My guitarist liked it also but was a bit jealous! ;)

This is off topic a bit but I love the tone that my SWR (WM300) head provided MUCH better than my Hartke (HA7000). Sure it lacks the power of the HA7000 but more than makes up for it in tone and weight (much less)!

Anyway, back to the cabs. This is a GREAT setup for the traveling musicians. The two cabs are relatively light and a nice light head helps also. I don't miss my 4x10 and 1x15 setup with my heavy Hartke HA7000 one damn bit! Light and nice tone is the way to go! :hyper: :cool: :bassist:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice score! I have one too. It is an excellent cab.

-Mike

5. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I also have the same setup and love it to death. I let a friend use the setup last night and he was highly impressed by the tone. At first he just played through the 112 and could not believe the bottom that cab produced yet it was still nice and tight. Then he played through both cabs and was floored by the tone. He has an Aguilar 112 on hold but is now considering changing that and getting the Avatar. It was one of the best purchases I have made. Thanks DWbass because your review convinced me to get it. Compact and punchy. Gotta love it.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    congrats, although i don't have an avatar 112, i do have a 410 - avatar is great stuff!

:)

7. Quadzilla

Just courious: for those of you using the SB112 (or B210 and SB112 setup like I am), what kind of heads are you running? WHile I LOVE the tone of my old SWR (mid-90's), it only pushes 270 watts @ 4ohms (which is what I am running with both cabs attached). Pretty good amount of volume there, but I prob could use more in the future. I'm thinking of moving up to a bigger SWR (hopefully I can find a higher wattage one that does not wiegh too much more) or a GK 700RB or 1001RB (both under 20 lbs). Not sure about the tone on those GK's though. I love SWR tone. Sounds GREAT with my Avatar cabs.

8. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm driving my SB112(s) (and/or B112s) with a Carvin DCM1000 power amp, usually in bridged mode (~700W @ 8Ohms, ~1KW @ 4 Ohms) with a BBE Bmax preamp. I've got lots and lots of headroom (with 2 of the 12s it can get far, far louder than I care to stand next to). I've considered going to a GK but want to be able to drive all 4 12s four outdoor gigs w/o PA (and I'm still considering slaving the Carvin off of a GK for outdoor gigs and only having the GK for normal (1 or 2 12s) use. But I'm not real familiar with the GK sound so I've hesitated so far.

9. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    When I go light I use a Behringer Bx3000t which puts out about 180 with just the 112 and 300 with both cabs. When I want a little more bump I use a Europower 1500 amp with a Bass v-amp. That puts out 260 watts at 8 ohms, 400 at 4 ohms, and 700 at 2 ohms. Bridged it goes about 800 at 8 ohms and 1400 at 4 ohms.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Genz Benz Series 2 amp. 250 watts at 8ohms, 375 at 4ohms. This amp is awesome. Easy to use, and a nice warm tone. This is my first GB purchase after using Eden gear for the last few years. I am really impressed.

-Mike

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I use 2 Hartke heads depending on the gig. A Hartke 3000 300w/180w @ 4/8ohms and a Hartke 5500 500w/330w @ 4/8ohms.