Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just got the Toby-pro 6..heres what I think...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noweapon, Sep 25, 2000.

1. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Well, I just got the Toby-pro 6 in the mail the other day and here are my first impressions....

first of all, if you order anything from Musicyo, get it delivered by the U.S. Postal service instead of the Fedex or UPS options they give you. Unless you want your bass the next day, the USPS will have it @ your door in 3, witch is no worse than the other 2 services costing you $30 or $50 more for the same delivery time.on to the bass...

Right out of the box, the look and finish of the bass took my breath away. I got the "violin burst" finish option on this bass, and although you can't see it from the picture on musicyo, it's got quilted maple flamed body wings! this really suprised me, and I would have never ordered a bass knowing it had this kind of wood design...but now that I see it..WOW!! It gives this bass a very high end look. (my bass teacher could not believe I paid under $2000 for it...upon first inspection..)looking closer at the construction of the bass revealed some interesting (and disapointing) things...

1)Its got a plastic cheapo electronics/battery cover. This is really not a big one for me...but the cover did'nt quite fit correctly over the cut out. :(

2)The strap hold is high on the butt end..which makes the bass hang almost parallel to the ground..I play my basses high and at a 45 degree angle so I had to "lift" the neck end up to get comfy...thus my left arm tired faster than usual.

3) Tone...Now here is where this bass excels and then falls short. The B and E strings are fast, tight and really rich even with the stock strings (who knows what kind they are?!)
    Probably the best B and E action i've ever felt on 34 scale. the A and D also sound good, but they are two close the frets (jumbo) so you get a lot of whine. A tross rod(s) adj./bridge lift will set this straight though. The G and C strings have good action but the tone of these two strings is inconsistant with the other 4 strings. The reason for this is because this bass has a REALLY punchy MID-treble sound. No matter how much I messed around with the controls (Vol, Bass, treble and Mid cut/boost)I could'nt pull that mid-high back, even when I droped the Mid cut/boost pot to zero. I would'nt mind this so much but it really drowns out the sweet highs ( harmonics sound a little dead) So what you end up with is a bass that has differnt tone and volume on two sides of the neck. A string and pickup change may be the cure for this problem...I just wish this bass had a tone shape pot that helped round out the sound like my trusty Ibanez SG406 has ( BTW....Feildly has single handedly ruined the rep of this bass...I'm so sick of "Hey, Isn't that the bass Feildy plays?" NO! this is the bass feildy Suks at playing!!!!!!

4)Its rather heavy....

5)The pickups are set in the body kind of loose ( I can wigle them fairly well)

6) The neck is thicker than usual on a 6, but I like it that way. some of you out there might not.

Overall I would say that this bass Looks better than it plays...for now. A pickup, string and maybe a bridge change should bring this bass up to par with basses costing 3 times as much. The finish is nice...it gets a lot lot of "ooohs" and "aahhhs" and has that classic Tobias body style with the signature head scoop. You fell (and look) like you are holding something great worth...and with the changes mentioned above you just might be! And for the price of $559 its a steal.

My score is 7 out of 10...9 with the changes ( which I will make)

Dan

bass player for "Engines of Creation"

Check out our tunes on http://www.MP3.com under "Engines of Creation"

2. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    hey, these are useful comments. I got myself a Toby Pro 6 as well, and it came in the mail on Saturday. :D I think before I think about changing the pickups, I'll try raising the action and changing strings before I think about spending money on new pickups. Do you know what strings came with the bass? Also, would you recommend any type of strings for a Six String? Overall I was very impressed with the bass. I'm gonna definitely have to get used to the wider neck though, seeing as how my other bass, the bass that I learned how to play on, is a Soundgear SR400 :eek:

Thanks again for the comments

3. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I don't know what kind of strings it shiped with..they seem real flat. I would recommend D'addario XL's. They are bit bright at first but after a while they really get a rich full sound. Like I said, I think this bass plays better than it plays/sounds...but you can get it up to speed with some smll improvements.

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I've tried most 6-string sets out there, and I've found that Pedulla strings are almost exactly what I'm after. They aren't real heavy and they tend to stay bright for the better part of a month. But then again, I play alot, so try them for yourself and find out.

5. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    ytsebri,
    are you on the Dream Theater message board as well? I am, my name is TheColossalBassist on there.

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas