1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got the weirdest phone call

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Feb 22, 2008.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I just got a strange phone call. The person claimed he was a security officer here at my school, and asked for my name and apartment number. He then advised us to lock our doors, that there were gunshots reported in the area and that they thought there was somebody with a gun on campus. They also said they might be sending an officer over to interview us.

After I got off the phone with him, I called up the security office, and they said that it was probably a prank; they had no situation on campus nor did they call anybody.

:scowl:

I don't know, a prank call about there being a possible shooter on campus isn't funny.

2. Yeah.. why would someone from campus call you then ask your name and address? You'd figure that they'd already have known that information... :confused:

3. Did you try *69?

4. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    The phone is on the campus network, so *69 doesn't work.

5. Yeah, lock your doors for the next few weeks. Someone is going to break in.

lowsound

6. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    What makes you say that?

7. agreed, that's incredibly stupid and not funny at all.

useful for canceling tests though.

8. I mostly find it weird that they asked your name and room #, yet called you on a campus network...

Be on your guard for a little while.

9. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I used to have the CD, but I loaned it to an ex-girlfriend just before she became my ex-girlfriend.

10. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I find that paranoia tends to manifest bad things, but I'm inclined to agree with this. I hope you didn't offer up said information.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    +1. Hide anything valuable, if possible. Sounds weird that a person on campus would know your phonenumber, but not address..

It sounds all fishy, but I have no idea why some burglar would tell you there's a shooting at the campus and that you should stay put. Is there anyone who might want to teach you a lesson or something, and they are coming over at this moment, or is there a possibility that someone would want to keep you from being somewhere outside your apartment right now?

Of course there's always the chance that some of your friends are fond of you, and you are going to recieve a visit from Officer Goodbody.. ;)

12. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    I know the school publishes a directory, but it only contains the name and phone number, not physical address. However, this person mentioned the name of my apartment complex and said they were calling everybody in the Commons because of the supposed gunshots, so this indicates to me that they already had a general idea of where I lived. Like an idiot, I gave them my first name and the specific address of my suite. However, I did notify Security via phone and I sent the Director of Campus Security an email detailing what happened. The only person or people I can think of who would want to prank or harm me are the kids I lived with last semester. In a nutshell, one of them got really drunk and started calling me racial slurs through the door of my room and hurled a full beer and spat on the door. We had a blowout and I reported him to Student Judicial Affairs, whom I believe had a "chat" with him. That's the only thing I can think of.

13. What school do you go to?
    Josh