1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just got told that it's impossible to create a tone that blends well on electric bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Space Pickle, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    By a classical saxophonist, of all people. /facepalm

*Le sigh*

2. Oh? By a sax player? I guess we should all quit playing and smash our gear. ;)
    He must play jazz as well, prolly traditional where they only play uprights. A lot of the purists feel that way.

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Did he ever hear a P Bass? Ampeg?

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    ******************Snob alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh, yess, wellll ahem, your leprous electric instruments are jusy soooo beneath meh...

snob_zpsf93f0e33.

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It's impossible to get a good tone on any instrument.

Music should cease, immediately.

6. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I played with a band that was hellbent on the upright tone. the best I had was an acoustic electric(not even close). One time I brought a five string active bass. That bass is a requirement. For me..it worked out well.

7. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    go tell him to suck his spit cause your hearing a lot of noise from his mouthpiece ;)

8. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    To give some context, this was a clinician at a music teacher conference. This person had a lot of good and helpful things to say about wind instruments, but the electric bass comment floored me.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Many years ago, I asked Ron Carter what he thought of the electric bass as a jazz instrument. His response was "I don't".

10. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    He was probably just being ironic.

No seriously, I've seen this kind of thing in a lot of the classical - type people I know. That way of learning music seems to work wonders at closing the mind. Which is why when someone pops up one of those 'should I learn theory' threads... I urge caution.

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    LOL I love a good short answer.

12. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake

:bassist:

13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    From someone who studied classical music and jazz music for my college degree, I don't think "learning theory" as anything to do with this snob reaction.

I think this remark is more in the idea that in classical music there is one sax tone and this is it, same thing for every instrument, while in rock music, every player try to have a unique tone and style and voice, so every band try to have a unique tone etc instead of trying to compose unique music.

14. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    ^Yes, I think that's it. You should totally learn theory, but that's another thread (and I acquitted myself quite well at the conference reading session if I don't say so myself :)).

I was stunned when I heard that comment, though. I realize an electric bass is no substitute for a tuba, but if you want it to blend with the ensemble better just roll off some treble.

15. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    I agree that leaning shouldn't lead to ignorance! But sometimes that doesn't seem to be how it works out. Just speaking of people I've met.

Which is a perfectly reasonable way of going about things (where would general midi be without it?) as long as you don't rob yourself of the ability to think in other ways too!

16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    He sounds worried.

17. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    To be fair Ron Carter could probably strap on a 4/4 bass and play it like a guitar.

18. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clef_de_fa View Post
    I think this remark is more in the idea that in classical music there is one sax tone and this is it, same thing for every instrument...
    Which is a perfectly reasonable way of going about things (where would general midi be without it?) as long as you don't rob yourself of the ability to think in other ways too!

On a serious note, I do know a lady who is a classical pianist/organist/harpsichordist. In, general, as down to earth and non-snobby person as you would ever meet. She has this little teeny piano in her weekend home because there's not much space. She uses it to practice and work out parts. She told me she knew she could get a full size keyboard in an electric instrument that would be portable, but that she would only play a "natural" instrument. My inner reaction was kind of ( ! ) but, I guess in her world, that's just the way it is.

19. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Not so long ago I would have said the same about booteek overdrives vs multi-fxs :help:

20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Believe me, if I could really play a UR bass I would feel the same way.

There's a connection that can't be beat.

But I get by on my electric. And I hear some hit records are actually using an electric bass lately so they can't be that bad.