1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just grabbed a Genz Benz NX2-212T cheap, advice please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by creis2, Oct 21, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    I've been looking to replace a large Low Down Sound 410 and 2 Ampeg svt 210AV's with one easy to move cab. My wife and I will be moving back to NYC and downsizing my gear is kind of mandatory.

I've read many times on TB a good 212>a 410.

I was looking for a Berg AE, but it seems nothing was popping up in my area, or has been sold before I could get my hands on it.

Last night I saw a brand new one on eBay from a highly rater seller. So I submitted a best offer for 1/2 what they went for new, expecting them to reject, but they accepted.

I know a lot of people on talkbass are looking for a 30 pound cab that competes with Mesa Halfstacks. I'm not expecting that, I have a custom LDS 810 Don built that's going nowhere.

But most of the bands I've been playing in are not so loud indie rock bands, with one or two 50 watt Fender tube combos that aren't blasted.

My two heads are an Ampeg SVT Classic and an Ashdown ABM 500, looking into picking up a Streamliner 900 in the future.

I have an oldschool sound, and like my mid bumped cabs.

Is this a good replacement for a so so 410? If I'm realistic with my volume expectations, should this cab help cut through the mix well?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, I haven't actually heard that cab, so all I know is based on hearsay. Based on the experience of many others, however, it would seem to be a great choice for you.

Nearly all of the bars & clubs here in NYC are quite small; some very small. So if those will be your primary performance venues, it's hard to believe that a highly efficient, articulate 2x12 cab the caliber of a Genz Benz wouldn't do the trick very nicely indeed.

MM

3. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    I replaced a 410 with (2) NX2-112t cabs, and run it with a shuttlemax 9.2. I've been very happy with it and I have yet to really push it, even on several outdoor gigs. You might be surprised with how loud your 212t will go. Also, I think it is very capable of an old school sound, and people seem to love it with their streamliner 900's (would love to eventually pick one up myself). And you gotta love how light this cab series is. I sure do.

4. creis2

creis2

Nov 11, 2011
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks everyone, that's great to hear. Most venues I've played in nyc aren't very big, but if they are, they definitely mic you.

I'm not VERY picky with tone of cabs, if it's a good design, I always find a way to make it sound good.

I'm more concerned with the volume. I've played 410's for years, so the transition is a little scary.

I love the profile, skinny, thin and tall. Looks a little modern for me, but when I move I doubt I'll be gigging right away. I can throw some vintage brown Fender tolex on it with some grill cloth.

5. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Fantastic cab! Tons of low end and projection, a little shy in the high mids though. I ended up selling mine in favor of GK cabs, but only because I use them strictly for on stage monitoring. If our PA didn't do most of the work I'd have stayed with the Genz.

6. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Gold Supporting Member

You Now Own one of the FINE Bass Cabs on this or any Planet. Don't Wait to Grab a Streamliner as the Future of Genz Benz is anyone's Guess. The Streamliner 900 is Fabulous. Grab it TODAY! :)

Gotta' Getta' Genz"!

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Those Genz NeoX's are one of my favorite "commercially made" cabs out there . Overall output would easily compare to your 410. Depending on what 410 you're comparing to, it might even exceed it by a little bit, as they stay sounding musical if you need to push them into a little bit of breakup. They still run plenty loud while staying clean though.

The tone is a sort of in-between vintage and modern, and can nail either with a twist of a knob or 2.

8. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I have the older NeoX 212T. I replaced my 410 with it and I couldn't be happier. It sounds better to my ears, big low end without getting boomy. My understanding is the difference is the newer cabs have different drivers in them so there is a slight difference in the sound. The best thing is mine weighs in at 52 lbs, the newer cab weighs in at 47 lbs. It just doesn't get much better for something of the shelf.

Also I use mine with a Streamliner 900 and the 2 really work well with each other. Alot of people dont like the Streamliner because it sounds boomy to them and it can be. The easiest way to fix that is change the tube in V1 from the stock Ruby to a JAN Phillips 5751. It has 30 percent less gain than a regular 12AX7 tube (you won't miss it there is plenty of gain on tap) and it tightens up the bottom end in a very noticeable way. I've switched all my tubes now to some vintage RCA 7025's in all positions and it has still kept the bottom from getting out of control.

Great Amp! Get one before they are gone, cause I'm here to tell you I'm not selling mine!

9. Is this a good replacement for a so so 410? If I'm realistic with my volume expectations, should this cab help cut through the mix well?[/QUOTE]

I replaced 4x10's with the NeoX 212 cab....works well for me....played once outdoors without PA support....cuts through the mix fine...running a 600 Streamliner dialed in using SVT settings...I think your new cab will exceed your expectations once you get use to it.....and you gotta love the light weight :)

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I replaced 4x10's with the NeoX 212 cab....works well for me....played once outdoors without PA support....cuts through the mix fine...running a 600 Streamliner dialed in using SVT settings...I think your new cab will exceed your expectations once you get use to it.....and you gotta love the light weight :)[/QUOTE]

+1

If I wasn't into tinkering with my own stuff and building speaker boxes and things, I'd just grab a NeoX-212 and call it a day. Strong output, convenient package, can provide a very wide range of tones that all still sound like a proper bass rig, and sounds "big" for lack of a better word. Doesn't sound, act, or feel like you're playing a fairly compact, lightweight rig at all.

I haven't heard the new NX2. They switched driver manufacturers from Eminence to Faital, but they are still an OEM design and are said to maintain a very similar sound/behavior, just can handle being pushed a little bit harder even. That coming from TB'er Agedhorse, engineer at Genz Benz, not some 15 year old sitting around in crusty underwear posting reviews on Harmony Central, so I've no reason to doubt it.

11. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
  12. R Briere

+1

If I wasn't into tinkering with my own stuff and building speaker boxes and things, I'd just grab a NeoX-212 and call it a day. Strong output, convenient package, can provide a very wide range of tones that all still sound like a proper bass rig, and sounds "big" for lack of a better word. Doesn't sound, act, or feel like you're playing a fairly compact, lightweight rig at all.

I haven't heard the new NX2. They switched driver manufacturers from Eminence to Faital, but they are still an OEM design and are said to maintain a very similar sound/behavior, just can handle being pushed a little bit harder even. That coming from TB'er Agedhorse, engineer at Genz Benz, not some 15 year old sitting around in crusty underwear posting reviews on Harmony Central, so I've no reason to doubt it.[/QUOTE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a Relative Newbie Here I'm Beginning to Like the Posts from Will. I'm not Big on ******** and there's Plenty of that to Go Around. But Will.....He Appears to be a Straight Shooter.
    (See...not some 15 year old sitting around in crusty underwear posting reviews on Harmony Central,)

Perhaps there Should be a "Club" for "Tellers of Truth". :)

13. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Went from 410XLT to 2 112T Neox w Streamliner 900. Much happier on all levels

Having two 12s gives me much more flexibility when play smaller places. May want to take a look at that as alternative

14. R Briere

To ANYONE looking for Genz Benz Gear.......Find it NOW and Save Some Dough.....or wait another WEEK and You may Not Find any AT ALL! Is That Sales Hype?? Nope. It Isn't. I Don't think I've EVER Watched Product Move so Quickly once Uncertainty sets in. :)

I CAN Say that I've Never Done Business with Another Amp Company Whose Customer Service Equaled the Quality of Their Product....and there are some Fabulous Amp Companies out There.

Jeff Genzler is a Saint.......and I Don't Know Many Saints. I Knew a Bishop Once....but that's as High Up the Stairway to Heaven as I Got. :)

"Gotta' Getta' Genz!"

RB

Heaven???? Perhaps. ....

Attached Files:

15. +1

I haven't heard the new NX2. They switched driver manufacturers from Eminence to Faital, but they are still an OEM design and are said to maintain a very similar sound/behavior, just can handle being pushed a little bit harder even. That coming from TB'er Agedhorse, engineer at Genz Benz, not some 15 year old sitting around in crusty underwear posting reviews on Harmony Central, so I've no reason to doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Crusty underware!! lmao When I hit the old folks home....that'll probably happen to me :eek: Speaking of Genz...wife's group off singing "classical"... so that leaves this old' rocker home alone...time to rattle the pictures off the mancave walls....and the dishes out of her cupboards....once you get the hang of the Genz....it puts a smile on my face....but...so does rum :D

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a Relative Newbie Here I'm Beginning to Like the Posts from Will. I'm not Big on ******** and there's Plenty of that to Go Around. But Will.....He Appears to be a Straight Shooter.
    (See...not some 15 year old sitting around in crusty underwear posting reviews on Harmony Central,)

Perhaps there Should be a "Club" for "Tellers of Truth". :)[/QUOTE]

Hang around for a bit and you may discover I can be plenty full of it too. :D

The later the time of the posting indicates a greater number of beers consumed....that should be taken into account.

And something got whacky up there with the quote functions.