1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just had a great gig, but a mean band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by werbo1, Mar 24, 2006.

1. So i just had a gig tonite, made 150 at the door, to split amongst four bands

One band was a complete total assface to us and didnt acknowledge us, used our drumset, and as soon as we finished unplugged our stuff and moved it. I lost all my respect for them, the other two bands ripped, as did my band.

So to split the cash - would it be offensive if we gave them 20 bucks and 40 to the otehr two, then kept 50? they totally deserve it, but how is this viewed in the real world

keep it real guys and gals

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    The temptation would be to give them the $20, and say the balance was "drum rental".

But that'd be eeeevil. ;-)

In the real world? Split the take even, and remember them next time. "No, you can't use our drum set. Get your hands off our shik."

Cherie

3. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

I agree with Cherie...just chaulk it up to experiance and move on. Being the bigger person in the deal will pay off in the end...don't sink to their level because they pissed you off, just remember for next time if you decide you want there to be a next time.

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    +1

5. I'll echo what they said. Resist the temptation to become the assholes just because they were. You'll quickly develop the same reputation. If you play with them again, just don't let them use your stuff.

6. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Don't you ever get tired of being the voice of reason?:)

I wanna break something!

~John

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yeah, its a burden, being all reasonable and sane.

Let's go break stuff!

Cherie ;-)

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    A buck and a half split amongst 4bands?

Dude, that ain't enough money to worry about one way or the other.

It ain't enough money to have listen to backwash on the street over and it darn sure isn't enought to compromise your ethics over.

If you're holding all the money, you must have some control over the show. Don't call them again.

9. anomalee

anomalee

Dec 16, 2005
    London, KY
    we played a show once that pulled in 1600 at the door, to split between us and one other band. We ended up with 400 bucks, and 6 band members. Needless to say we didn't play with those guys again.

10. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    last show i played there was an assbag band, they where heckeling us during our set and tried to boos us around, the bands wives told us that we were better than them which was sweet. the place gave us free pitchers and 20$ for gas.

if that band was a bunch of assbags why did you let them use the kit? and where the hell were their drums.alot of bands think their better than everyone else, it happens all the time.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Only one choice - split it even. Even if they were buttheads.

[And, now that the gig is over, ya gotta find better gigs. 150 split across 4 bands is - robbery.]

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hmmm... I suggest in the future, you work out some deal with the bands for the extra wear and teat on the drumset. Inevitably, the band borrowing the kit has the hardest hitting moron with the heaviest sticks... who does more damage to the heads in 20 minutes than the OWNER of the drums would do in 2 years.

And it's expensive to rehead a drumkit...

Could be worse, though. I love seeing people use my bass rig, ESPECIALLY when they immediately crank up the volume, putting the "clip" light permanantly on. And you can hear the speaker distorting... oy. But they're on stage, and you're in front... powerless.

If there was no agreement between the bands, split the take evenly. Might pay your gas to the gig, anyway...

13. In the 'real world', I would have an agreement on how the money is split before I hit the stage. I have no problem with the headliners or show organizers taking more cash than the other parties involved, but it should be known in advance.

If the understanding before the gig is an even split, then I don't think you can dock them pay for having a poor attitude. They still showed up and played.

14. Yeah, like everyone has said - the band should get an even cut.

In any work/job situation, if you perform the task you were employed to complete, you deserve to be paid. Regardless of your personal feelings about them, they did what you asked of them so they should be paid properly.

And again, it makes you remain professional. Just cross them off the choice list for next time.

2 cents

15. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Here in Austin, there was a band borrowing a drum kit, and then when the two guitarists thrashed their guitars, the drummer promptly tosses the ENTIRE borrowed drum kit through a beer banner off the back of the stage, and down into the creek below.

I always remember that when it comes to borrowing gear. Piss off and use your own stuff, or go home.

16. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I always wonder how guys can do more than two or three gigs like that... Don't you need functioning instruments to get gigs?

17. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Had a similar situation 2 weeks ago, Show was running late, first band asked to borrow my bass rig (technical difficulties, I've been there before, and been helped out by others, so I gave way to karma and ponied up my rig) dude was very respectful and only asked 1 question (wheres the master volume) and treated my amp very nicely. Then we went up, and played what I thought was a pretty tight, clean set. The bar's owner then asks our drummer to borrow his kit to save setup time, to which he graciously agrees...

Well this band's alleged vocalist/guitarist is so plastered he can't even tune his guitar, continually brags about how much xanax he took before the show and manages to empty the bar in 3 songs. I guess he figured that was our fault and chucks his guitar into our kit as his finale.....

The situation did not end well.....

If you happen to be in Denver I have no problem at all naming names via PM... I'd hate to see that pile of steaming excrement damage anyone else's gear....:mad:

SM

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Good grief!!! So...did he get a mudhole stomped in him by the owner of the drums?

Insane.

Cherie

19. I'll play the bad guy and say that you should definitely not split it up evenly. They don't deserve it. When they bring their own equipment they can have an equal cut of the door. :smug:

20. This would be fine, provided the arrangement was made before the show. You can't just stiff the band after they play their set because they had a poor attitude.