Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just had a lesson with a new teacher(need advice)

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Libersolis, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I drove up to Charleston, SC and had a lesson with the bass instructor from the College Of Charleston which is where I am going to finish my last two years of music school. Basically he told me that everything I was learning from my teacher here in savannah, GA was wrong (simandl method) Well not everything, but here are a list of a few things he said

1. Only press down whatever finger you are using. The other ones should remain free and loose ( as opposed to Simandl method of pressing down with the others, even if not in use

2. Keep my fingers close together and "know: where the notes are so I can move to them instead of stretching my hand out to reach them.

3. When using the E string for pizz, move my left hand closer to the neck so I can reach it without twisting my wrist. My teacher down here never said anything about that.

He said the reason I was feeling cramps in my hand was beacause I wasnt using my back muscles to hold the strings down. He sat me down on a stool and had me practice playing without using my thumb.

The lesson was very different, and now I am a but confused as to who to listen to!!!!! I guess I should try to please my teacher down here as long as I am down here, and when I move, I'll do my best to please my new teacher :meh:

2. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
  3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Both teachers are right.
    There are many ways up this mountain.

German or French?
    Sit or stand?
    Gut or metal?
    7/8 or 3/4 or 5/8?
    Karr or Rabbath?
    Brown or Gomez?
    Simandl or Bille?

My advice is to stick with your current teacher for a year or two, then check out the other fella when you are ready to move on. Don't play them off against each other, both have valid viewpoints, and it sounds like they both have had good teaching themselves. You don't need the confusion, so I'd recommend you keep an open mind -but commit to one teacher at a time.

Laurence

4. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    I disagree, Your goal is to find the technique that best suits your physical structure, as soon as you can. sticking with a teacher for a year or two just because of his geographical location is silly. especially if you're having pain issues! My own physical approach has been a summation of the many great teachers that I've been fortunate enough to have. Never blindly adhere to what one person says,even if it's Ron Carter. It could leave you having to total overhaul your technique down the line, which is a pain in the arse!

5. I would agree with the above post, combining techniques is not a bad thing, nor is combining teaching styles. It keeps reminding you that there is not one way to play. What I don't like about this teacher you were describing is that he says that what your old teacher was doing was 'wrong.' I guess if it causes pain then it might be wrong for you but it's worked for many etc. And yes, don't take what any teacher says as 'right' without really knowing it, especially Ron Carter or other famous peoples (they often believe their own BS an think that because they are respected that their way is the best.)

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If it were me I would study with both for a bit. Really see which one feels more natural to you, yes hard when you been studying one method for a time, but your body will tell you.

Also, if you do have pain, something isn't right.