1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just had my first bass lesson..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gjbassist, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ...and I'm both excited and overwhelmed!

I have been playing for over 15 years but never taken lessons until now. I thought I was a decent enough player. I have been in several bands and have received many compliments on my playing. However, after one lesson with a teacher who has been studying and playing bass for over 30 years I feel like a total noob. I am excited and the possibilities I have to learn and grow as a player but I'm also scared that I'm not going to end up being as good as I had hoped I could become! It makes me wish I had started taking lessons when I was younger (I'm 47 now).

Here is the guy I'm taking lessons from. I'm doing electric right now but hope some day to start on upright as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzxUFsZzHc4

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    If you think Electric Bass is difficult...

3. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    ...wait 'till you try a Chapman Stick!

what?

4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I forgot about that. Especially if you leave the bow out of the Double Bass equation.

5. The upright is a long way down the road if it even happens at all.
    For me it's not about the difficulty of the instrument. It's about wanting to stretch out and grow as a player. I know I'm good enough to hang with most any rock or blues band but my knowledge of basic theory is terrible. I just wish I hadn't waited so long to start lessons. I see my kids play instruments, read music and have a good general knowledge of music theory. I wish I hadn't been so lazy about learning that stuff when I was in school!

6. Don't feel bad. We're all still learning, or ought to be. I took lessons for my first ten years. I only stopped when my teacher left to join the Las Vegas cast of Beatlemania. Twenty years later, I'd love to get some more lessons. Just can't afford em right now. Thirty years on, I know that I still have a lot to learn. Many is the time that I hear another bass player, and feel like I've been taken to the woodshed. But it's okay... I'm still learning!