Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just had my first gig...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fatbassjazzer, Oct 26, 2004.

1. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    This was my bands first real show at our school Talent Show. The instruments were fine(except one really bad drummer error) and everything sounded in check. One problem...I forgot all the lyrics to our song when I got up there. Some how or another I was essentially able to "free style" the lyrics and make them up off the top of my head. I had everybody in the audience fooled so it worked out. My solo was fine and the audience was really into it and I had a good time. Things went well and now we have another show on Saturday where we play our full set. I can't wait.

2. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    All right man!

I can't wait for my first gig, which will be lightyears away.

One question...did you do a cover song or was it original?

3. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    It was an original song. 9 and 1/2 minutes long. We got a really good responce from the crowd.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Excellent. It feels great doesn't it? Keep playing more and more shows.

One tip: the more rehearsed and ready you are, the less likely you'll forget lyrics, whether you're nervous, or for whatever reason.

5. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Right before we went on, I could have told you every line in the song but once I was up there they disappeared. Then I remembered them after we finished. A few random lines would pop up in my head and I'd sing them.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So true. It happens so often. This is actually my point though. Even though you're ready and you know what you're doing, you still could benefit, usually, from some more rehearsals, cause when that stage fright, or whatever it is, kicks in, then you can go on auto-pilot!

Again though, congratulations on a great show! :D

7. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    We did need to have more rehersals. I wasn't nervous about my bass playing at all though. My bass playing was clean and my solo was almost spot on. I did get nervous about the vocals. One show down, two more to go this week.

8. That's great, actually. Most dudes without a lot of stage experience would panic when that happens. Everyone runs into that eventually, and you either sing a verse twice or make something up entirely. Remember, mumbling can be your friend.

9. glydebass

glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    Hey fbj
    As you know i was there. While the music was perfect. i do think 9 and 1/2 minutes for the talent show was a bit long. But the crowd did enjoy the lyrics. Granted the crowd was half and half. On the one hand you had the metal fans adn then you had the "we really dont know whats going on and therefore we dont really like it crowd". But all the same you guys were one of the more talented groups up there. But if you do another talent show dont do a 9 + minute song. Thats what lost you the points needed to win. good luck this weekend adn ill try to be there.

10. Like someone else said, nice job improvising on the spot. I'm sure you'll get your lyrics down eventually. Most new vocalists would have paniced or stopped playing. So you did good. Good luck with your upcoming gigs.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Congrats for you, I know I could never do that, but then again i've had my bass for like a month...Meh, playing for the praise team at church gets me nervous enough, lol...