Just heard Jaco for the first time.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JB Lars, Dec 19, 2002.

1. JB Lars

JB Lars

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    It's like this: I'm just shy of my 30th birthday, and have officially been a bassist over half my life. I've also spent all that time pretty much immersed in rock (with some nods to R&B and country). All that said, it occurred to me a few days ago that I could name-drop Jaco with the best of 'em, but I'd never actually heard a note the man ever played. So like a good li'l newbie, I found a copy of "Heavy Weather" tonight, and listened for the first time to the oft-mentioned "Teen Town".

DAMN. :eek:

So now I gotta ask - who else here knows all about some player's legacy and importance to the instrument, but has never heard him or her? C'mon, fess up... I can't be the *only* one. :)

Now to see what the fuss is about this Stanley Clarke character...
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've never heard Vic Wooten. And I'd never heard of him until I joined TB. Apparenty he's good ;)
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Brian Bomberg is someone who I've heard about but haven't heard anything by. Michael Manring is another one - I've heard some stuff by him (including the clinic he and Steve Lawson did in November) but it's very hard to actually buy his disks!

It has to be said that the internet makes it much easier to hear at least snatches of these players, even though that's not quite the same as sitting down with a full album's worth of material to soak in... that's how I've got my ears round some of Michael's stuff besides what he did at the clinic, and I guess I ought to see if I can find some clips of Mr Bomberg somewhere.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    First of all, welcome to the world of Jaco. I recommend reading his Biography, he was a crazy cat, really interesting story, I appreciated him a lot more after that.

Talkbass opened my ears to a lot of bassists, Vic Wooten was one. But Marcus Miller is more my bag, check this guy out, brilliant, bloody brilliant!
  5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I just finished reading a biography of Jaco and I must say it was a pretty darn good, albeit depressing, book. However, I have still never heard his recordings. Weather Report's "Heavy Weather" seems to be a good place to start though, huh? Or, would I be better off getting his self titled solo album?
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Geezer, I would start with Heavy Weather. But you can't really go wrong with either one. You need to get them both, eventually.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    "The Birthday Concert" is a good place to start. It eases you into his playing and orchestral concept.

I read a lot about Jaco and got "Word of Mouth" and "Invitation" at the same time. The first track (Crisis), while technically amazing, went completely over my then 18 year old head. Still does 13 years later.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Alain Caron!!! I didn't cop the rest of his stuff until I joined here about 2 years ago. The man is truly sick.
  9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    For Jaco at his finest (IMHO) Skip Weather Report and his solo stuff and head straight for Pat Metheny's 'Bright Sized Life' and Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira'. Both breath-taking albums, Jaco or no Jaco, but his playing on them is stellar...

The self titled album is cool - not at earth shattering now as I'd imagine it was when it came out, and a bit patchy (not as coherent as Bright Sized Life, for example). Word of Mouth is good.

For Weather Report, try the live album, 8.30 - amazing versions of all the tunes therein..

10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I also like the stuff he did with Micael Stern, especially the song, "Goodbye Again". Tear jerker if you're not careful. Kind of like "3 Views of a Secret".
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    "Crisis", the very 1st cut on Word Of Mouth, is what I imagine schizophrenia would sound like.

I still find the debut relevant & mind blowin' by today's standards...when I first bought/heard it(in '76?), I was completely blown away(by the groove-ability...forget about the solos). ;)
    Bright Size Life? I'm in Bob Moses' camp on that one(read his comments in Milkowski's Jaco bio).

The 30th Birthday Concert is happening.
    Very loose...an electric bass & drums with all those horns & no chording instruments, per se.

The Joni/Jaco stuff is nuts...
    The recent LIVE Weather Report 2-cd set is a must-have(the "best" version of "Teen Town" I've heard).

The newest Bassics mag sez-
    Twins will be re-issued domestically.
    Additionally, Rhino Records is gonna put out a Jaco 2-cd set in the Spring...then there's Bob Bobbing's Portrait Of Jaco.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Have you seen Bromberg's latest album?
    And that cover?!?!

I have a couple of early Bromberg discs...same with Caron.
    Both are top-notch musicians...really, though, their stuff is so "well played" it's almost too sterile for MY tastes.

If you're really into Jaco, check out Oteil Burbridge on the early Aquarium Rescue Unit albums and Gary Willis(both his solo discs & those with Tribal Tech).

Old Skool-ers?
    Paul Jackson with Herbie & The Headhunters.
    Alphonso Johnson...I just bought a '70s Blue Note album by Eddie Henderson called Sunburst(Henderson played trumpet in Hancock's Mwandishi band). Anyway, this is an Alphonso bass record I was totally clueless on...very '70s Funk/Jazz-ish!
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For me, the one jaco album that stands a little more out than the rest is Joni Mitchell's "don juan's reckless daughter." There is countless great jaco stuff, though.

Here are some of my reccomendations:

With Joni Mitchell:

All of them (mingus, heijira, don juan, shadows and light {you can get a DVD, too})

Bright Size Life

With Weather Report:

all of them ( :D )
    -black market (jaco only plays on two tracks, but alphonso johnson kicks ass, too)
    -Heavy Weather
    -Mr. Gone
    -8:30 (it is a double LP, but a lot of the tracks are from other albums and imo, this isn't the best representation of jaco's tone)
    -Weather Report
    -Night Passage

-b-day concert
    -word of mouth
    -twins I & II

-Jams: Jaco Pastorius Rare Collection ( a bunch of rare recordings of jaco)
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks a lot, you should should have said that about 9 months ago, i would have saved $30. :D
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love the birthday concert. I want to find a copy of invitation, but I can't find it anywhere.

Brian bromberg is unreal, wow.

one of the things I love about bassists, is theres always someone new, tahts doing somethign fresh and there always some one that you'll hear about and is worth checking out(I'm sure thats true for all instrumentalists thouhg)
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Invitation is my favorite live Jaco CD. Othello Molineaux ripping Coltrane's solo on pans during Giant Steps still floors me to this day!
  17. Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I first heard Jaco two years ago when I bought his self-titled album. It's the only album I've ever heard by him but I'm sure I'll get around to more. As for right now I'm stuck on Mingus and Ray Brown! They are just amazing :D
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As mentioned, just wait for the domestic issue of Twins.
    Invitation(originally, a US release) is 1/2 of Twins(originally a Japan release).
    Twins has a great version of "Elegant People"...that was edited off of Invitation!

...so sorry, just read about the domestic issue of Twins myself!
  19. Front Page with Dominique DiPiazza on bass is a must-have CD...

For cool imports and Bass CDs, check out www.audiophileimports.com for an awesome selection.
  20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    oh. another jaco thread..

Back to your question, ive never heard marcus miller, i shall tonight though.