1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just helped a first timer get a bass... a Squier VM P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Mar 9, 2008.

1. So I went to GC today like any other weekend and of course found the next Marcus Miller obnoxiously slapping away at the Stingray in the Bass room. So I got a cable and tried to test out the Markbass combo when I overhear a salesman talking to this guy who said he was a guitarist looking for his first bass to play in a band... after the salesman left and I watched the poor guy attempt try out a bass while the Miller wannabe plucked away I invited him over to help him out.

He said he was looking at about $300... so I mentioned that I heard (of course from this forum) that the Squier VM series was a really good bang for the buck. Then after explaining P vs J vs soapbar, I took the Jazz bass out of his hands that he seemed to set on and gave him the Squier VM Precision Bass (olympic white with black PG, btw). The first thing he said, "Wow, I REALLY like this neck." Not that I was surprised after all I've heard from the forum, but I told him to step aside for a second and was pretty surprised.

My first impression was that it was extremely light, but also the action seemed about right on (which as you know is not a commodity as GC) and the neck felt like some of the better Fender MIM P Basses I've tried out. I gave him a Soundgear next, but that didn't last too long. He wanted that P bass.

So all in all, he got the bass and thanked me for setting him on the right path... I wished I would've helped him out and told what kind of bass amp he needs, but hopefully the GC guys'll help the guy out. Anyways, just want to put in a good word for the Squier VM series... it appears Squier finally got something right.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Good Karma for you!!! Well done. :)

3. UndeadGladiator

UndeadGladiator

Jan 7, 2008
    Here here!

4. I played a VM Jazz last weekend. It did feel good and the sound was surprising. I wouldn't mind getting one sometime.

5. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    ah. my first bass was a vintage cort p copy with a maple fb. had it for only a couple monthes when i broke it. don't remeber how it played. my second/current bass is the exact bass you are takling about. pretty good. hate the bridge though. now that i think of it, the vm j would have served me better in the playability area, but still a good bass. currently looking for a good quality compatible bridge, that has a bit more mass and comes in gold, that is affordable. i bet my p would play great if i got it a profesional setup, but the store charges $50 for that job, string not included

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Good work!

7. DutchDude

DutchDude

Sep 12, 2007
    I had the same experience I went shopping for a VM Jazz, but when I felt that p-bass neck I bought that because it's a really nice neck, to bad it doesn't have inlays

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Did you point him towards TB as you left?

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am reviewing this very bass for the 'beer budget' review section, and IME/IMHO, you did that fellow a service. :D This is one heck of a bass for <$300 (provided that the general tonality - a fairly defined, non-bright, thud - is what you are after).

Tom.