Just hit repeat, and chill.......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jun 6, 2001.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe this is common, maybe not:

I am a fan of Dave Matthews Band, but haven't cared for "Everyday." Until now. All of a sudden, I landed on the track "Angel," and I've had it on repeat, all day at work. I must've listened to it about 50 times this weekend while traveling. Carter lays down this simple shuffle that really swings, then he gets real fat and meaty right in the chorus and especially at the end. Stephan just totally lays out and lets a mellow little bass line sing and provide space for Dave's guitar to breath and get funky. The melody is great, but simple, (maybe Bach knew what was up with simple melodies :) ), but it's infectious.

Usually my only "big time repeat" songs are Ray Charles' version of "That Lucky Old Sun." But, every couple of weeks one song will just jump out and make me put it on repeat for literally hours.

So, how weird am I? Anybody else do this?
  2. Yeah, man, I've done that a lot in the past! Most recently, I've had my VHS copy of "Michael Manring: The Artist's Profile" cued up to his live performance of "The Enormous Room", and I just watch it over and over and over.
  3. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    From week to week there is always a certain song that I really get into above all others, and I play it to death. Last week it was Pat Metheny's Spiritual. Just a few days ago I picked up the Thelonious Monk c.d. of the Ken Burns Jazz series and I must have listened to Green Chimneys close to a hundred times, I love the song.
  4. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    i do that with the whole Before These Crowded Streets cd by Dave Matthews Band
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Especially "Crush."
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Whenever I have the Flecktones' "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" in my car stereo, I always listen to "Blu Bop' and "Flying Saucer Dudes" twice. Sometimes I'll play the third tune (Turtle Rock) and rewind from there.

7. i've been doing that with "big eyed fish" from the DMB lillywhite sessions. that "cd" is hit or miss, but BEF is a HIT baby!
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I did that with "Gaslighting Abbie" and "Janie Runaway". I was mesmerized:eek:
  9. the beatles, cry, baby, cry.

no bassline, but there is someting about that song...
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    The same here!!! but i don´t have the vhs video... i saw a realvideo on some page about NAMM and he played Enormous room... i bet it´s still online... i downloaded it and even with the bad video quality I got hypnotized by him... i had to see it like 30 times ...
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tons of songs. That's acutally a test I run...if I can stand it more than three times in a row..:D

I've done this to nearly every song I have on Mp3...
  12. I am not a huge fan of listening to single songs over and over unless I am listening to something long like Tubular Bells. This disks I keep listening to over and over lately have been "Zoot Allures" by Zappa and "Revenge" by Mingus.
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've listened to Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Riviera Paradise" on the "In Step" album so many times, I've had to buy 3 CDs. There's something about that song...

The current song I have on repeat is "Double Trouble" , Disc Two (Live Disc) of Eric Clapton's "Blues" CD.
  14. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I do that with a lot of songs. I just can't get them out of my head and the only way to ease the pain is to play them over and over. This is also a great way to annoy your roommate or any other person you want to leave the room.
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The most extreme for me was Jane's Addiction, "Ocean Size". I listened to that for a week solid once.