1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just how durable is Nitro lacquer on a headstock?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Nov 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    I'm refinsihing the headstock of my Squier VM Bass VI after sanding off the decal. I'm thinking about spraying the headstock face with a nitro amber tint and some nitro clear coat. I've got a couple of questions:

Will it be durable? Will it crack over time, like nitro finishes do on guitar bodies?
    Will it interact with the poly finish where it touches it on the sides (i'll only be doing the headstock face with nitro)?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Not likely to react with the finish on the sides. It will crack like you see on old instruments if it meets the same conditions that cause cracking in lacquer - usually drastic temperature changes like being left in a cold car then being brought into a warm house, or being left in a hot car in the sun then brought into an air conditioned space. n Other than that, lacquer is pretty durable. Not as durable as poly though.

sissy kathy likes this.