1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just how metal was Black Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zachoff, Sep 17, 2010.

1. I'm on my third time watching it in a row and it's pretty unbelievable to me that they existed when they did... All the peace & love music going on and Sabbath was spawning what would become heavy metal. Love it. One of the simpler songs they ever wrote but it's still my favorite. So doomy... So evil... So awesome.

2. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    that was their first metal song. the one that started it all. they were otherwise a blues
    band until they wrote this song. people went nuts. the rest is history.

3. How metal was Black Sabbath? To me, that's like asking how football was Joe Montana. Or how Vegas was Liberace. Granted, I'm a lot older than many TBers, but to me, Sabbath is still the band that defines heaviness.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    They were the first to do it. They are the epitome of the genre

5. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

Jan 20, 2008
    Their best song

6. so dark ,so heavy. love this song and hand of doom along with sabbath bloody sabbath.

7. There are a lot of us young 'uns (or at least, those of us who discovered music in the 90s) who would agree.

8. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    +1
    And Geezer rules!:bassist:

9. BrickBatMansion

BrickBatMansion Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2010
    EAST TENNESSEE
    i would love to have that p bass. wonder what year it is...............

10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I don't think it's that surprising, really.

I remember someone saying this:
    'Heavy Metal (more specifically, the Doom genre) was born when the hippies' idealism turned into pessimism'. True dat, IMO.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You might not guess from the music, but they were actually a cheerful bunch of guys here in Birmingham at that time! Very jolly.

My old pal Tony Martin (and ex-singer in a band that I played in) joined Sabbath some time after Ozzy left and they went through a few different vocalists in the 80s. He obviously thought they were a fun bunch of guys to be with. :D

12. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    That's funny.

That's all they considered themselves for a while. A downtuned band playing blues and singing about god/satan.

That's all metal is.

edit: Why is it that all you people who passively know about metal feel the need to chime in your opinion? Is it for the post count?

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    "Passively know about metal"? What ARE you talking about? Are you suggesting that the people posting here somehow have no right to an opinion on this? :eyebrow:

Think carefully before you answer. :D

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They're so metal, they're like iron.....

15. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Sabbath created Metal as we know it. No question. Just listen to "Under the Sun" or "Cornucopia", then tell me it isn't Metal.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Settle down with the personal stuff or thread closure/warnings etc.

17. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    So this is on a scale from one to metal?

18. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    Sabbath = Death and Doom

and say what you will about Ozzy, imo he was / is The Dark Prince. just listen to that vocal. EVIL.:hyper:

19. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Back when things were merely rock'n'rollem Sabbath comes along with tunes that made one say, "WOW man, that's heavy~!" Hence the beginning . . . but I didn't think they were the only ones that were heavy. One could also say that King Crimson was on an equal footing in the "heavy" arena with "21st Century Schitzoid Man" or others, but because Sabbath went "black", they were given the count as the first ones in the heavy metal lineup. But, in my opinion, many bands at the time were beyond mere rock . . . another example . . . Iron Butterfly, or other bands that were beyond the Beatles, Turtles and other slower movers and shakers.

20. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I find it kind of odd how the term heavy metal has changed its meaning over the years. I have read that Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were considered heavy metal back in the day, and now we just call them hard rock. Black Sabbath started heavy metal as we know it. Some people say that Helter Skelter is the first heavy metal song, but I think that it is just too much of an effort to make the Beatles more awesome than they already are. They have started a lot of things, but heavy metal is not one of them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021