1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Just how metal was Black Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zachoff, Sep 17, 2010.

1. I was born in 1960. In the early to mid 70's when you heard the words "heavy metal" you thought Black Sabbath. But you also thought Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple and others.

To me THIS was the actual seed.

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Fist band I ever went to see (with the unheard of Van Halen as support - 1978 Never Say Die tour). They were (are?) heavier than a very heavy thing. The one thing that always surprises me is when people equate them with being all doom and gloom and satanic. If you listen to the lyrics they are mostly optimistic and anti-hate, anti-war, anti-satan. The lyrics are quite 'hippy' really.

Heavy Metal? Oh yeah, but only in the way that Tool are. I think of Tool as the natural heirs to Sabbath's crown.

Were Sabbath the first? Probably not. There's the MC5, Steppenwolf, Mountain to take into consideration. I never thought of Led Zeppelin as metal.

3. We did. Parts of the first two albums at least.

4. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    How metal is this? . . .
    Not everything Sabbath did was even close to heavy metal.
    Music is music . . . as Ozzy put it . . . "I'm going through changes"

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Some of the early Black Sabbath stuff was so "over the top" and they took themselves so seriously that to me it is out and out comedy. Stuff like Iron man is really funny. Sorta like a cheesy horror film ... omg it is the evil vampire ... all in all very funny ... and I do like the guitar players tone and Ozzy's vocals ... but I cannot keep a straight face when I hear it.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I think of Tool as the bastard child of King Crimson and Black Sabbath, myself.

Sabbath are, to me, the first band that really took electric blues music to the dark, dark places you really only find in some of the old 78's from the Depression era. There's nothing happy about the way that tritone rings out in the song Black Sabbath.

That riff/arpeggio, to me, defines the sound of impending dread. They took blues and made it heavy.

7. strappa

strappa Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    i don't think it's odd
    it's a term and terms tend to evolve over time
    It's all blues based

Robert Johnson started heavy metal
    what's heavier than selling your soul to the devil?

8. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    I think of Sabbath as the first "metal" band, more so than Zeppelin. I was watching VH1 top 100 artists the other day, and when they listed Judas Priest, someone referred to them as the first metal band...I'm thinking...WHAT, what about Sabbath?

9. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I agree, it is all blues based. What I find odd is that in othes styles of music, when somebody made something different, people usually come up with a new name for that. Like blues, then R&B, then Rock n Roll. As far as I understand, what people called Rock n Roll in the 50s, is still called Rock n Roll today. Somethings that used to be called Rock n Roll are now called Hard Rock and so on, but it was an new term, a step foward. Heavy Metal is the other way. Bands that were considered heavy metal are not heavy metal anymore, they became Hard Rock, like if they went backwards.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    "Just how metal was Black Sabbath?"

Well, their name DOES have "Black" in it, dudn't it?

:ninja:

11. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    Answer? Answer implies substance. A majority of the responses here have none.

And i did not think carefully before i answered, i guess a ban/infraction is in order?

I guess so. -Josh

Alrighty then - Wiggl3s

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Your opinion on what does and does not contain substance has no bearing on how others should post. Drop it and move on- last warning.

13. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Sabbath were the first band to forge metal as we know it. MC5, Iron Butterfly etc. all laid down the framework, but with the first album, Sabbath gave it a kick up the arse and brought it all together.

In terms of Deep Purple, UFO, Zeppelin etc. they'd come under "Not Really Metal, But Very Important To The Development Of".

And going back to "Changes", that's not the leats metal thing Sabbath did....

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    More than fair.

15. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Am I the only one who likes Dio Sabbath much much more than Ozzy Sabbath?

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

How telephone was Alexander Graham Bell?
    How Baseball was Abner Doubleday?
    How Cotton Gin was Eli Whitney?
    How Gay was Richard Simmons?

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yes.

18. Lesfunk

Dio Sabbath is Sublime but Ozzy Sabbath is the original.

19. Lesfunk

How Ozzy outlived Ronnie James Dio baffles me. But I digress...

20. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Sabbath will always rule..... Especially the "Ozzy" Sabbath...... I was just listening to "Master of Reality" the other day and thinking about how awesome Geezer and Bill Ward sounded as a rhythm section. Geezer's tone and playing style is what got me into playing, I think "Paranoid" and "War Pigs" were the first tunes I ever tried to learn on a bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021