1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just inherited. Ibanez Musician / Gibson EB0

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chupathingy, Mar 27, 2013.

1. chupathingy

chupathingy

Mar 26, 2013
    Hi there,

New to these forums. I recently inherited 2 basses from my father.

Can you pro's tell me a bit more about these?

Ibanez Musician

1075hqu.

Gibson EB0

35ho1gx.

Thanks.

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    i would suggest checking completed auctions on ebay for an idea.
    lots of members are gonna chime in that you have to be a supporting member to post a "whats this worth" thread as they are often veiled attempts to try to sell a bass without becoming a member... the $20 membership really opens the doors to a great fee-less way to buy and sell great gear too!

ill give ya two bits!
    but seriously.. they both look sweet and both will have a good amount of people that dig em... that musician is a real versatile and beautiful sounding piece!

once a mod sees this the thread will be deleted and they will give you a stern look!
    go read the rules... its no fun... but necessary for a fun tb experience.

3. hampulator

hampulator

Feb 10, 2012
    My Rough estimate-Ibanez $650,EBO $900.

4. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    one of those prices is waaaay off to me.. and the other I would never pay...or is it the other way around?

5. For $20, you can become a supporting member. Then, you can ask the value and list them here for that. The basses will go to one or two very happy owners, I'm sure! You will not be cheated out of your money here on TB. The $20 to become a supporting member is so worth it so you can sell those to real bass players who will love them, as opposed to Guitar Denter who won't treasure them as much as a TBer.

6. chupathingy

chupathingy

Mar 26, 2013
    ooops. I didn't know I was breaking the rules.

I apologize to all. I figure at the very least people will appreciate seeing these.

7. eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    no worries...it happens alot with new guys...
    change the title and take out the question about value and perhaps just ask people to tell you about the basses so you know more about them... check Ebay, and then when you want to sell them, join up for $20 and sell to a good community without Ebay swiping your loot!
    that musician is a nice example from the pics... the eb looks we'll cared for, but has a more limited audience because it has a distinct sound that some love and some don't...

8. chupathingy

chupathingy

Mar 26, 2013
    Done and done.

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The Ibanez is an MC-900, probably from 1979. Look at the serial number on the back of the headstock. The first 2 numbers will tell you the year of mfg.

That was the top of the line for Ibanez basses back then. It's a great sounding, extremely well designed and beautifully made instrument. The Gibson... not so much, IMO.

10. chupathingy

chupathingy

Mar 26, 2013
    Serial is 0804xxx

Does that mean 78?

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Could that "0" be the letter "D"? The first letter signifies the month, the next 2 numbers are the year. Yours was made in 1980.

12. chupathingy

chupathingy

Mar 26, 2013
    That would make sense :)

I'll take a closer look when I get home. But its definitely a 900 Ds?

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Definitely an MC-900DS. The "DS" stands for "dark stain". If that's the letter "D", then the mfg. date would be April 1980.

14. chupathingy

chupathingy

Mar 26, 2013
    Awesome. Maybe I'll takes up the bass.

15. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    A fine idea. Most guitar players I know own a bass. With that Ibanez, you'll certainly be starting at the top.

16. The Gibson EB-0 is one of my dream basses, for sentimental reasons. But it has to be red. Cool muddy sound.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, if you don't play, you are now in a great position to get started!

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Both of those are beauties!

19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ibanez MC900 for the win! Killer basses.
    Gibson EB..... uhhhhh, Killer ibanez tho.

20. The EB0 was made in the seventies. You can tell by the pickup placement. Like someone else pointed out, most people prefer the cherry over the walnut stain like you have. Allen Woody of Government Mule played the snot out of them. They're great.
    Lot's of great Gibson bass info here.
    http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/