Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just installed a Set of SD Hot Jazz Bass Pick Ups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gfab333, May 8, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    into my early 80s Jazz. I had active Barts in them previously, for use as a slapping bass. Now, I use my 5 string basses for gigging and I decided to mess around with the old 4 string Jazz.

As my other basses are geared for an agressive modern tone, I was going for an old school blues / rock tone with this bass. After considering a number of pick up options, I decided on the SD Hot Jazz model; these are single-coils and are not the stacked hum cancelling type. This bass is going to be played finger-style for blues and classic rock. I even put a set of GHS stainless steel flat wounds on the bass.

The pick ups have a notciable higher output, but nothing that would overdrive your preamp. The tone has a lot of big bottom and nice mids. The highs are there if you want them, but with this bass, I'm going for the deep darker old school tone. I'm very happy with the pick ups and the flatwound strings.

2. Cool!
    I just got your email... Sorry about the lack of a response, but I just made a 3000km move (driving) and started a new job so 'net time has been very very limited.
    I love my SJB-2 equipped J-bass. Real thick but tight sounding low end growly mids and slightly muted highs...Now I just need it delivered here... Bassless for a few days:(

3. I wish!
    I just bought a new mountain bike and would love to do some north shore riding.....:D
    Not to mention that Vancouver's a great town...
    I'm in Ottawa for the next four months...

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I put a ste of Hot for Jazz in my Geddy Lee &...
    ...hits the nail on the head!!!!

5. I replaced the stock pups in my MIA Jazz with some Antiquity I (after scouring the west coast for a set). While the sound is nice, it's very subtle. I find that I really like the tone when recording direct - very nuanced. But when playing live the antiquities lack of output makes it hard to get things set up right, especailly when switching between basses. My standard jazz fretless with stock pickups have probably twice the output of the SDs

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I now have a sample clip of the new pick ups. It's too large to post. I'll email it if you're interested.

I used a new set of SS flatwounds and the tone control rolled off to only 25% on the bass. pick ups panned to favor the neck PU. I was going for the Jamerson tone, but on a Jazz Bass. I got pretty close! LoL!!!

7. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    how do you tihnk they would sound in a fretless, i was talking to a guy about changing the pups in my fretless and i was leaning towards some barts but he noted that i could get the duncans for about half the price as the barts (going passive with a nice pair of barts seemed liek a waste so i would have to go for the preamp and this owuldl require some oruting)

he reccomended the hot for jazz, any opinions?

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Turkish,

The Hot set might sound good for your fretless, but you might do better if you select a set that has more mids and warmth. The Hot set is characterized by a strong bottom, more so than an attractive mid tone. IMHO, a PU set that has good lows (that aren't to obtrusive) and a slight bump in the low and upper mids, will really bring out the tone of a fretless. The Hot set might have slightly too much bottom for your application, the strong bottom might overshadow the mids. Check these links for more info, the bassplayer PU shootout and the SD pick up chart. Hope you find the sound that you're looking for...

Bassplayer mag Jazz PU Shootout

SD pick up Tone Chart

9. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here