Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just installed Nordstrand NJ5's in my Carvin

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Commreman, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Okay - I have been one of the few "Carvinites" on these boards that has been satisfied with the stock Carvin electronics in my LB75 (J 99's, stock three band preamp). I've stated in other posts that the only reason I would have for change would be for the sake of curiosity. This week I was able to get a good deal on a set of Nordstrand NJ5's (thanks again to Biker4him - great guy to do business with) and get them installed into the bass. I have only run them a few hours though my Tascam BT practice unit. My initial impressions are that they are much more organic, while still maintaining focus. I have two gigs this coming weekend where I'll run them through my rig with the full band for four sets a night. So far my impressions are positive; can't wait to hear them in a real setting! :bassist:

2. I was just looking at some nords for my lb70 actu~~~y.
    Let me know how they work out with everything and ~~~ the details..hehe..
    good luck,
    -eric

3. Commre....

Did the NJ5s fit without any mods to the carvin? And are you still running the carvin pre? I have an LB75 that I'm thinking of putting the same pups in. Let me know how it turns out...... :hyper:

4. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    They fit with zero modifications into the existing routs. I'm still running the Carvin preamp. I see from your profile that you run yours through a GK 800RB. I'm running through the GK 1001RB, so we have similar rigs. I'll let you know how tonight and tomorrow's gigs go with the full band.

5. Cool deal man. I've not been happy with the stock pups for a while, but I've not really known what to replace them with. I've been gigging with a friends american deluxe jazz, and that baby growls like crazy.......sure wish my carvn sounded more like it :meh:

6. David,

I have an LB75 that I would like to upgrade too. As a matter of fact I just posted a thread prior to this because I'm not happy with my sound. The thread is titled "Modify Bass from J/J to J/MM? ". If you have time, check it out.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how your rig sounds as a whole?

I have a Peavy 410 too, I'm amp shopping and a GK1001 RB-II is a potential candidate.

Thanks!
    Shawn

7. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have been using the GK 1001 RB 2 10 combo for the last few years, and I love it. I don't think that you can go wrong with it - they take a lot of abuse and still sound great. My stock LB 75 sounded great through this combo, and I have gotten tons of compliments, but I still want better tone. I can't wait to hear the nordies tonight with the band.

8. Commreman,

How is the growl factor? My LB75 has none.

I just posted earlier because I'm unhappy with my sound & I would like to upgrade my pup's and pre.

9. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    As I've stated earlier, I was never dissatisfied with the stock electronics or tone. I agree that the "growl" factor with the stock PU's was minimal, however, I thought that the stock electronics had a good "warm" fundamental tone with defined highs. I could get growl by playing with the blend knob on the bass biased slightly toward the bridge pickup, and taking the boost control on the GK to 10:00 or 11:00 o'clock, and digging in when it was called for. When I run the nordies tonight, I am going to leave my amp settings where they were for the J 99's to give me a referenece point.

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I have an lb70p that I'm totally happy with. My #1 bass at the moment but I use all my basses just to justify them :p I do have a couple extra j99's that I'd been experimenting with. One that I had in a p/j that I'm not satisfied with. Mostly because of 'the hum'.
    I'm also interested just out of curiosity, on how the new pups sound live.

11. I purchased my bass back in 1993/94. I believe the electronics were different back then. How about yours - newer or older Carvin pup's/pre?

12. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Newer. Mine I bought on the used market - I think it's a '99 or '00.

13. Mine's an older model as well. It has the older H50N pups and the older preamp module.

As far as how it sounds through the 800RB.....it's very clear and punchy. I can dial in just about any sound I want, my only complaint is the lack of growl and that's a pup problem as far I can tell. Before I started playing fretless a few months ago I pretty much dialed in my tone and let it set. After the fretless though I started to really see how much fingers have to play in tone and I haven't been happy with the carvin since. Things got worse for it after playing that american jazz....I can dial in my sound on the jazz, then when I need run or lick to stand out I just give alittle extra tug over the bridge pup and I instantly cut through the mix better. If I can get that from my carvin I'll be tickled.

A GK through a 4x10 is hard to beat....

14. Hmm.....

Carvin no longer lists their H50N pups on their site, but they seem to list these in their place

H50S - Stacked humbucking bass pickup
    This stacked humbucking bass pickup has exceptionally wide tonal range with a full bell tone and a nice midrange growl. The H50S can be used in basses with either passive or active electronics. Designed for 4,5, and 6 string basses with an effective string spacing width up to 3.3". Replacement for Fender Jazz bridge position. Dimensions are 3.72" long x .72" wide x .80" high. Available in black only.

These and the J99 pups are the only jazz style they seem to list now....

15. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well, last night I got the LB 75 with the NJ5's out for a four set gig in what is a typical setting - a smoky, niosy, neon filled, wall to wall packed New Jersey pub gig.

In order to do a semi accurate comparison, I kept the settings on my rig identical to where I would normally set them for the J99's in this club.

First impressions - these things hum, I mean really hum. If I didn't keep the blend set dead center, the 60 cycle hum was unacceptable. While the J99's were also single coil, they were encapsulated in epoxy, which took care of any hum issues. Normally, I play slightly biased toward the bridge. Last night I couldn't do that.

Tonally, these pickups are THICK. Much, much more of a midrange profile than I am accustomed to. I wound up having to dial back the mids on the on board preamp, and slightly boost the highs to get the definition I wanted. In terms of growl, the NJ5's certainly do that. These p'ups have growl plus, so if that is what you are looking for, you will find it here. I felt that the overall output was less than the output of the J99's. It probably took me a full set to adjust my right hand technique to accommodate for the very apparent sonic differences here.

Are these pickups the Fender sound on steroids? They do nail the classic '60s tone, along with the classic '60's Fender 60 cycle hum. Like anything else, it will take me several gigs working with them to really flesh out what they can and cannot do so I can give a real report, but right now (early in the morning with little sleep, with a not very clear head, getting ready to take the kids to karate, soccer, and all of the other Saturday Dad schlepping duties) I'm on the fence with these. I have a gig at a private party tonight, so I'll give my impressions again following this one.

16. Hmm....the hum sure isn't nice, but since I hardly ever do any gigs with neon lights that might not be such a big factor with me.

Keep us posted!

17. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Carey also has a couple of humcancelling options, one of which I believe sounds quite similar to the traditional single coils without the hum. I have a set of NJ4SE's in my Modulus and they are quite quiet, especially compared to the DiMarzio's I had in there previously.

18. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    you should check the 5Jst out..... no hum, vintage sound!
    Look for my post in the pups section....

Aloha

Mo'

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Listen to Mo...he's the Nordstrand pickup guru! :smug: I think that every bass he has now has been equipped with a set of Nordstrands. :bassist:

As for the NJ5s...they're true singlecoils. There isn't a single coil pickup that I know of that won't hum or buzz...that's just what singlecoil pickups do. AND....bacause they are prone to noise and 60 cycle hum, that's why hum-canceling jazz pickups are so incredibly popular these days.

For those that have routes that match the NJ5, the NJ5st set is what you would want...a stacked coil, hum-canceling jazz pickup set. For those that have Fender or Joe Osborne 5-strings, the NJ5FS set will give you a singlecoil tone but will not give you the hum and noise of a single coil pickup. If you're a purist and MUST have a true single coil, then the NJ5s and NJ5Fs are your pickup, but there are Nordstrand models that will address these noise issues for those who do a lot of live shows or studio work and must have a quite pickup. ;)

20. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey there, thanks! I don't know if I'm a Nordie pups guru, but I have a lot of experience with pups and, like you said, all my basses are equipped with Nordie, period.
    What I would like to see from Carey is a split-coil, like the N5JFS, but in a 3,73" size. for what I can tell, it would have a little bit more output than the N5Jst.... here Carey can always correct me if I'm wrong! :)
    I'm just done with another 60/70 gig, subbing drummer..... he told me three times during the evening how good my Metro was sounding... me happy :hyper:
    But everyone has different taste, so......... good nite!

Mo'