1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just joined a band, excited and wanted to share

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zephyr_words, Oct 30, 2010.

1. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

Aug 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm 25 and haven't gigged since high school since I was really busy with travel hockey and a lot of other hobbies. I was really missing playing so I decided a little over a month ago to try to join a band. :bassist:

My band from high school did original rock songs but I just wanted to step into a role with an existing working cover band and have fun playing covers super tightly while making some extra cash to cover time + expenses.

I was having a hard time finding a group. Everyone that responded wanted to start some kind of psychedelic space rock opera group :ninja: Or other bands simply sucked.
    I took a few days to record a bunch of songs of me and put them on youtube and instantly had better responses.

I saw an add for a working cover band that needed a new bassist so I scheduled an audition and sent them my vids. They sent me a list of 10 songs, told me to pick 3, and set a date about 9 days out since they had a lot of other bassists lined up.

I saw some of their gigs on youtube, thought they sounded good so I figured I would learn all 10 songs.

I went to the audition with my new VT Bass Deluxe, hooked straight into their PA (with subs :hyper:) and then, I kid you not we played all 10 songs in a row gig ready.
    I was really pumped, between songs the guys were complimenting my playing (even the singer? haha) and jokingly asking how long I've been playing with them.

We got done and I was packing up when they came over to ask what I thought. I said it went really well and that we should play again together soon.
    Then they said, "well if you'd like to, we already talked it over and we'd like you to join." I accepted on the spot because it seemed like a great fit. They canceled all their callbacks\other auditions that were set after me.

That was on Monday, we just had our second rehearsal today, I learned another 12 of their songs since Tuesday, and those went great today too.

We already have a gig for Nov 13th and then the 20th! :bassist:

Sorry this was so long! I'm just really happy and wanted to share the news with like minded people.

TL;DR:
    Being a bassist is great.

2. touji

touji

Feb 12, 2009
    Williamsburg, VA
    Sounds absolutely AWESOME! Congrats! Hopefully I can find my place in college this year too :]

3. nice job! enjoy.

4. Know how you feel. Rock on!

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    You need to give hints to bluewine about how to join a band.

6. awesome man. kinda sounds like my story. i stopped playing in junior year cause of bad bandmates and never found a group i clicked with untill dec last year. i was lucky enough their bassist went to college now im having the time of my life

7. Congrats, great job at doing the homework!

Randy

8. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Post links to your videos so we can check 'em out!

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I was having a hard time finding a group. Everyone that responded wanted to start some kind of psychedelic space rock opera group Or other bands simply sucked

I am really happy that you or anyone else has found a match playing the type of music you love.

Awesome job getting the gig.

I am not getting any traction in my search. I wish I was 25.

10. MCML

MCML

Dec 8, 2006
    They told me to pick three - I learned all ten.
    Not a bad approach!
    Congrats. Well deserved.

11. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Congrats -- what were the 10 songs they originally sent? and the additional 12?

12. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    Opportunities like that don't come along everyday man, congrats on finding a sweet group of dudes! Sounds like you really knocked that audition outta the park, kudos for going that extra mile and learning every song!

Now post some links so we can check you guys out!

13. Wow! Great story!
    Good luck to you with the band.

14. Where are your gigs?

15. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

Aug 12, 2009
    Virginia
    Wow, thanks for the great responses guys. I wasn't expecting that!
    I'll post some links of us after our first gig. I don't want to post any videos until they're with me in them =D

These were all the songs, I play them note for note, but a lot of them are pretty easy anyway. Still felt like a lot in a few weeks.
    The Pretender
    Take Me Out
    Godsmack - Keep Away
    Shinedown - I Dare You (had to transcribe that one)
    Undone -- The Sweater Song
    Tush
    Hard To Handle
    Paranoid
    Dammit
    Johnny B Goode
    Mother
    Long View
    When I Come Around
    Fire
    My Own Worst Enemy
    Seek And Destroy
    Silverchair Tomorrow
    Toxicity
    Seven Nation Army
    Sober
    Hash Pipe
    Pork & Beans

I'm not anything special as a player but here is a link to a playlist of the vids I recorded.
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EDAD2DFF7EF3F1B4
    The Turn it Again cover is probably my favorite. I had Cream White Room up there but that got taken down for copyright crap.

The gigs are just some bar stuff to get our feet wet together. 1 at Fishhead Cantina and Perrys. I'm looking forward to doing some large parties and events in 2011.

16. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    I think the "they told me to learn 3 but I learned all 10" is probably the main reason it went so well. You came in confident in their set list, probably suprised the hell out of them, and showed more determination than anyone else they auditioned. Nicely played.

17. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    Congratulations! My audition went similar with my current band.......That was 3 and a half years ago and its been a blast the whole time!

Rock on!

18. I didnt audition for my current band. They had no other choice. Luckily it turned out much better than the band i left to join this one (Not hard, 1 year of 1 hour weekly practices, not a single song learnt. What was i thinking?) and we're starting to get bigger and better now.

Liam

19. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Awesome job! Hard work with a little talent goes a long way. Learning all 10 of their songs showed the band you wern't afraid of a little work, you have determination, and you're not a flake. It's possible there were players with better chops than you but came in knowing only a few of the songs half assed. Being on time, cool, and knowing the songs at an audition is the way to get a gig. Plus rockin the Sansamp is always a winner!

20. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota

I dig the setlist man! You have some of my favorite songs to play on there, and Godsmack's "Keep Away" was the first song I ever learned on bass!