Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just joined the Aguilar club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, May 5, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I just got an Aguilar GS112 and am loving it. The sound out of this little box is awesome, and very well balanced. I have another GS112 on the way, and I'm even more psyched about hearing two of them together.

Just had to share my excitement.

2. Congrats they make a great product, Enjoy.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    did that rig at bass camp do it for you? I got one GS112, and with a gk700rb, it kills!

4. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You know it!
    I found one for $320 shipped and I couldn't pass on that deal. You should see me now. I sound just like Michael Manring and Gary Willis :D

Like you said. It's an awesome cab!

5. philtypeguy

philtypeguy

Jul 11, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    Did you get a new GS-112 for $320 shipped?
    Where can I get one?

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey, welcome to the Aguilar club, bro!

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Sorry, It was bought used off of E-bay.
    BTW - I have another on the way from E-bay that I got for $335 shipped.
    Keep looking, I'm sure you can get something similar. Your chances have improved since I won't be in the market for a GS112. :D

Has anyone ditched their 15" after using the two 12's? I can't wait to hear the results of two aggie 12's, I've been psyched by all the raves I've been hearing about this setup.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Cool man,

I sold my SWR Golith Jr and SWR SOB after getting a pair of these bad boys. I have a GS212 on its way as well. Aguilar makes great cabs at a great price. They sound great and can handle my 1600 watt power amp very well. Good luck with the new cabs.

9. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I just took delivery of my GS112 today as well. :) I'm lovin the tone and the portability is where it's at.

It's a big change from the 120 pound 410HLF I'm used to. It's a welcome change, and I certainly see another one in the very near future.

10. Congrats, dude.

I've been rockin' a pair of GS112s for about six months now, and while I slightly prefer the tone I was getting off of my old GS410, my back prefers a pair of 45-pound boxes to a single 100-pounder.

I'd love to hear an upright through them.

11. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Two Aguilar GS112s!
    I just got my second GS112 yesterday. I am running late for work, because I was having so much fun playing around with it. I compared the bass response of the 2 GS112s with my Trace Elliot 15" Cab. The two put out as much bass as a single 15" cab, plus it captures all the other frequencies. It's tighter sound bass IMHO. A single 12" doesn't have the bass that two does. And the two really push air. With a little head that only does 220 @ 4ohms, I can still feel the air. These speakers are efficient. I don't know who said that they suck power, but I get decent mileage out of them from my little amp. I am shopping around for a decent power amp, so I may get the chance to hear them with some power behind them soon. Anyone with any comments?
    It does a great job of capturing the range of frequencies. Sometimes the hiss can be a bit much from the tweeters, but I turn one of them off and tweak the attenuator and that helps alot. I agree with everyone who says that 2 are better than one. I have enough bass for my 5 string, and crisp sounds. The harmonics just jump out of the thing in conjunction with my SWR head and Warwick bass.

In short, I love this setup. Relatively easy to carry and compact for the amount of volume it puts out. Sound is awesome. Thanks to everyone whose opinions and ideas steered me in this direction - for it was the right one for me.
    [​IMG]

12. Nice! I bet that sounds awsome. The nice thing about having two cabinets is that if you play somewhere where you don't need as much volume, you could just use one of the. Most of the time I only use one cabinet and it just happens to be...

13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but is that an Ampeg B-15 there to the left of the Aggie? If it is... it looks quite original. And that's awesome.

14. It's a 1965 Ampeg SB-12. It's basically like a B-15, but with a 12 inch speaker instead of a 15. It's also less powerful, and has much simpler tone controls: just volume, bass, and treble.

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I use two Aguilar GS112s with my SWR SM-500 and am very happy. I run in bridge mode and get very monsterous yet articulate tone with great portability (I can carry one in each hand if needed).

-KB

16. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I recently picked up an Aggie 212...super low punch. Mainly for my electric upright rig with a Carvin R1000 head and Clevinger Deluxe 5. But it sounds great with my electric bass rig too (Ampeg SVT-4 and Zon Legacy). The cabinet sounds huge and good clear punch to it. That and my pr-410hlf should do the trick live.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, they might have mistaken lack of efficiency when the Aguilar's are at a lower volume.

i found that they only really shine when you open them up with some good power. at low practice volume, they sound a bit muffled and weak to me. but open it up with at least 400-500 watts each, and listen to them explode with tone!

IMHO, Bergantino's HT112 sound great at all volumes. but at higher volume, a single Berg cant give your low B the same kind of booty + punch a single Aggie can.

power amp wise, there's a plethora of choices. why not be safe and just go with a nice QSC PLX or Powerlight 2? they're relatively lighter than its competitors, yet clean and mean with power.

18. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Actually I am looking for a light power amp. The QSCs get great reviews, but I am a little concerned about their input impedance. I've been leaning towards the Stewart 1.6. I'm dying to hear what these things sound like with some volume. For now, I am enjoying em.