Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just joined the MTD club...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 3, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think she's a beauty! And oh, the sound... my god! This one has a pretty distinctive tone, and I really love it! This is the first bass I've owned where I actually love the preamp EQ... I've always used onboard EQ sparingly because adjustments seemed to rob the character of the bass, but this one is different... and what a difference it is!

Specs: walnut body, burl maple top, wenge neck and fingerboard. Top-matched peghead and trussrod cover.

Here's a quick pic...

2. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    She's a BEAUT Clark! :hyper:

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Congrats on the new bass! We have at least a couple of things in common - maple burl top and Wenge fretboard (my neck is maple).

With your wood combo, I bet that you'll find your bass to be very quick, punchy, with warm mids, and a Hi Fi style high-end when you play it in the the band mix. give us a review after a gig or two. enjoy!

:bassist: :D :bassist:

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Congrats SD.
    Pretty nice bass.

Try to post some clips or a remake of some of your older
    tunes, so we can compare it with your Cirrus sound.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hi friend. Can I come over and play it?

Also, are you in any bands? Where do you play?

6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Beautiful bass man, good luck.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's actually an excellent description! It also is pretty growly and has a more of a compressed sound than what I'm used to, but I really like it. The sound has a lot of "personality." The high end bites pretty hard on slap stuff, and I specifically wanted to avoid another bass with that characteristic... but next to a couple of other 535s I had a chance to play, this one's overall sound really stood out to my ears as something unique, with its own voice. With the highs rolled off, the slap sound becomes kind of dry and woody, in a very pleasant way.

Oh, the pain of having to wait until next Saturday to take her on a gig... ahh, it's just as well, because I haven't had a fiver in awhile and need to re-familiarize myself with the extra string! ;) :D

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yeah, but where do you play?

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Certainly - c'mon over! My main band right now is the Kaiser Brothers band. We play around Beaumont and around Texas quite a bit. In another thread last week I invited you out to the Winnie Rice festival, where we played last Thurs. - I knew that would be close to you and an all-ages kinda deal. Just check the "gigspam" link in my sig for upcoming dates... :)

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ...ashamed...
    I have a totally phat 535 I've been sorta' ignoring for a while... just got it back out after a few months of focusing on other stuff and it was my main bass for the gig this past Friday. All I have to say is...

YEAH, BABY!

Man, I totally forgot how these things can slice thru a mix with unreal clarity. Dude, enjoy yer MTD and welcome to the next level of tone! :) Oh, and your MTD is totally sweeeet, too.

If her curious, some of my stuff, including my 535 is posted at my gear link in my sig.

11. Congratulations man!!! looks beautiful!!!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, mark.....congrats!!! i got your IM to my phone yesterday, sorry i didn't call you back.

BTW, I'm in a new club myself and this is big!!! :D I may be online tomorrow! stay tuned!

;)

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Invited me personally? Sorry I missed it, the thread and the show.

Whats the age limit at Madison's? I know some friends that work there, maybe they could help get me in if I'm not old enough.

What kind of music do you guys play?

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    vics: Nice collection!
    ruly: thanks!
    njl: :eek:
    sonorous: Kaisers are kinda "Texas alternative country." Think Cross Canadian Ragweed, sort of... a group of rock guys with a country vibe...

Heehee... next gig is going to be an $85-a-ticket charity deal... let's see how many times I mistake the B string for the E... (hey folks, the band was awful but it's for charity, okay?)

...j/k... I hope!!! :ninja:

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet!! Nice score! I'd love to have a 635!!

16. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    That's a nice MTD!

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Josh, she really is an uberbass in my book!

Heehee... I brought it to work with me today for a little lunchtime noodling! :D

The MTD strings sound pretty good... I'm debating whether to try the DR Fatbeams on this bass or just stick with the MTDs... hmmm!

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO...

Whatever you do, don't go with the DR taperwounds on the MTD. The taper goes out far enough that the additional windings end up starting over the bridge pickup, and it gives you weird harmonics/overtones on the B string (the LAST string you want to have that on!).

Personally, I think the MTD 135x's (stock strings) are as good as anything... including DR's, even tho I'm a BIG DR (especially HiBeams) user. I currently have a set of HiBeams with a non-taper 135. Great tone, but I think I'd prefer a 130 for the B on that set... that non-taper 135 pulls a lot of tension... little too stiff for my tastes.

Bottom line, IMHO, the MTD 135x's or DR non-taper 45-130 would be my personal choice on these ultra-clear and super-bright WMD's. :)

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've tried a number of other brands on my 535 including DRs. I always come back to the MTD set with the 130. This set seems to sound best.

I recall that the DRs sound too trebly on my MTD. Just too much highs, if you can imagine that. I'm not sure why. DRs always sound good on my Jazz Bass though. Ofcourse, things may not work the same way for you, since there are many variables including finger touch and playing style when comparing one player's experience to another.

20. Hey, congrats, Secret.

I never played a 535 until the NYC get-together, but now I know how great they sound.

Much good luck with it! :bassist:

What's the latest with your Cirrus 4? (if I may ask)

535s are yummy for the tummy! ;)

Mike :)