Just kick me ... (silliness of GAS)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kesslari, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I'll always have GAS. Never gonna give it up, never gonna let it down. I flip gear like pancakes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I get GAS once in a while, but probably not more than 2-3 times per year.

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I am totally content with my rig, haven't done any real changes in over a year.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. If I could, I'd go beyond hydroponics and plant carrots in the gas of the atmosphere

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I have a great rig. Amazing Zon bass, choice of 2 killer amps (Genz Benz Shuttle or Sonic Farm 2Di4 into RAD 1000 watt monster), the best cabs I've ever played through or heard (MAS). And although I seldom have need for them, a nice set of effects.
    I am blessed, and I am grateful.

I have 0 GAS for a new bass or a new rig. They feel, sound, and perform perfectly for me.

I love the sound of my Zon - though when I read @bucephylus review of the Pope preamp, I thought perhaps I should get it. I probably spent an hour or more looking at Pope reviews and at BBG for different configurations.
    Why? WHY? I love the sound of my Zon. It's not like something is missing or wrong. What is it about this subjective possibility of "maybe could sound better"? that makes me (maybe you too) want to change out something that is completely satisfactory?

I haven't used my compresson (EBS) in years - not since I had a gig where I did some slapping, and I used it to even out the volume difference between my fretless (not slapped) and fretted.

But after reading the "fancy-pants compressor" thread, I reread Bongo's info, and found that the EBS had fallen out of favor because "it can start to sound worse when it gets old".
    Without even listening to mine I started researching his new recommendations, looking at the Classifieds, etc. I probably spent an hour doing it.

This morning I hooked up my pedal board. The EBS sounds great. Nothing wrong with it. No need to spend more money.

I really need to nip this "go research stuff that I don't need" in the bud when I catch myself doing it and go practice instead.

FlatwoundFunk and bucephylus like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    :help:Consumerism. Shiny things are purtee.

3. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    No significant (read: $$$) changes to my gig rig. GAS is pretty well under my control.

I purchased a $40 beater that I will be taking to and from work. Because I am flying 1600 miles roundtrip every month, I prefer to keep my main player safe at home.

I did engage in my first build (see sig.) this year, and so far have sunk $625 out of about $800 into it. This project was not so much a GAS thing, but rather an inspired project stemming from my deep respect and admiration for Anthony Jackson and his style.

If the project is discounted from the GAS strike counter, I think I'm cleared as far back as late 2015... :D

kesslari likes this.
  4. My basses I have I'm pretty happy with, I still have a few I'd like to get, but I don't really need. Amps and cabs I watch because with the technology moving at light speed, I'm trying to find a great sounding rig at lower weights. What was small and lightweight five years ago isn't today....

FlatwoundFunk and kesslari like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    We all love shiny new stuff. Just remember, you like what you have - odds are you can only go down from there.

kesslari likes this.
  6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Absolutely, Jonathan. Rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I’ll always read gear reviews and try the best I can, to keep up on new things. BUT, considering the venues we play and our audiences don’t care if I’m playing a Precision or the Dimension. They want a well delivered show that sounds good.

Technology for PA systems has started to get better and fidelity is starting to creep in. I still don’t think it warrants a change in my gear yet because the audience has never remarked nor inquired as to what kinds of gear we use. I like our PA set up. It’s light weight, easy to set up & tear down and does sound very good and we can do a great show and keep the volume controlled so conversations can take place or, we can crank it (upon request) and rip their faces off.

I like the gear I have. I look at lotsa stuff all the time & try to keep up but, I’m not a gear nut.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There’s always something exciting about getting something new; for a lot of us, the research and preparation and anticipation of it is even more captivating time getting the actual item itself. I have found this is usually amplified based on how much spare time I have- my want of gear is usually inversely proportional to the amount of time I’m spending practicing.

FWIW, my Zon TJ-5 came with a Pope pre and I replaced it with the original Polyfusion and preferred it that way.

9. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    I don't own a boat so I figure anything I spend on bass gear is a bargain.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021