Just learning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kelley0600, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017
    So, I picked up the bass a couple mts ago. I've learned scales and a few riffs.. Also, practicing with a metronome, which proves to be tough. Any advice for a gal just learning would be great!

BOOG, Helix and equill like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Welcome to TB!

Use the metronome only after you have the notes down. Slower and correct is best.

Also check out the link in my sig. for lots of great TB info.

3. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017
    Stumbo! Thanks alot! I actually just learned today, the names of all notes! So, I have just been playin around with those and having fun!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Do you know how to construct chords? Having some basic knowledge of chord construction will help you immensely.

Kelley0600 likes this.
  5. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017

6. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017
    Hey, Thanx Bass12! No, I haven't started that yet, but, It will deff be my next lesson! Can't wait to get started!

bass12 likes this.
  7. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Basics here. Please don't be insulted if this is below your ability, just go through it quickly.

(Advanced)

Kelley0600 likes this.
  8. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017

9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018

10. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017
    Thanx alot! Iamgroot! Very helpful, music theroy type stuff!

11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Is the metronome tough because it's boring?
    The reason I as is because I had a similar problem at first and solved it by playing along with recordings of songs I liked. Same sort of idea, an outside source to keep you on-time, but much more interesting.
    It also helps you start to learn songs, which is a pretty good goal to have for a musician.

12. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017
    Thanks! Yes, that was part of it at first. I just couldn't get past the mechanical beats. I have gotten better, however. Best at 100 beats per, at this point. I cant wait to learn songs!

lz4005 likes this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If you can promise to do this, I too will vow to keep the awful jokes to a minimum...

Disclaimer: At no time did I say I would stop the jokes, altogether...

BOOG, Helix and Kelley0600 like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Kelley, have you thought about lessons...? I'm self taught, as are a lot of musicians, but looking back, lessons probably would have helped build a decent foundation, early on... no matter which path you choose, there's a lot of resources to pull from, whether it be great advice from other TB members, a ton of info on YouTube alone, etc.

I wish you luck!

BOOG, JGbassman and Kelley0600 like this.
  15. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017

IamGroot likes this.
  16. Kelley0600

Kelley0600

Dec 26, 2017
    Sorry, I quoted u by accident and dont know how to fix it :/ Anyhow, yes I do take lessons for the most part. My bf is a musician, he teaches me. Yea! I also watch youtube. Scotts bass lessons. Anything I can :)

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The three horizontal bars, next to the elapsed time since you created the post... click, dropdown reveals a submenu, delete w/reason...

18. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I second this. An instructor will point out the things you are doing wrong and don't realize. Will save you lots of time in the long run.

At the risk of sounding patronizing, I will offer the following advice.

1) Think musician first, and then bass player.

2) There is no magic fairy that is going to tap you on the shoulder with a magic wand so you become a bass player. You will do it by your own persistence and focus. People that become bass gods, practice harder, more often, and most important, more efficiently.

3) To practice more efficiently, practice perfectly - do it slow enough so you are not rehearsing your mistakes. Decide what fingering works and then stick with it. Use a metronome. When you can play it perfectly, raise the tempo. A drum machine is not a metronome. A metronome is the musicians confessional.

4) The drum machine can help you find groove - lots of info on this on the internet. Learn rhythm notation first, so you can visualize what you are doing.

5) Make an effort to start learning music. A little will go a long way. Learn the triads and learn to sing them. Practice a little ear training so you can play what you hear.

6) There is a ton of stuff on the internet - not all of it is right.

yada yada yada

MalcolmAmos and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Welcome to talk bass! In case it hasn't been brought up, go slow at first, try to play well by getting the notes to sound good.

Pay attention to muting notes as you play as well. There is no right or wrong way to play, but try and keep your wrists straight when playing, (note my profile pic) this will head off injuries later if you keep playing.

Playing through pain is a no no, (it's your body's way of telling you to stop) but having a little muscle fatigue or sore finger tips is typical as you condition your fingers and arms.

Get you bass properly set up. This will make it more playable, and easier to learn on. This includes setting the truss rod, action, pickup height, and nut clearance. There are many how to videos, but if you are a little apprehensive, it's some of the best money spend at the start of your playing days.

Don't worry about how much you don't know, focus on learning the basics and getting your form down. There is no time frame to get better, you learn at your own speed. Like anything in life, you will get out of it what you put into it.

There is great learning tools on video these days, but there is a lot of bad advice as well.
    I would have killed to have had access to all of the awesome learning tools that are available today, but there is nothing like learning to play by ear in real time. Remember never substitute constructive practice time for watching videos. Or, ahem, talkbass. ;)

As always, have fun. We all start at the same place. It's up to you to decide how far and how much of your life it will consume.

Good luck!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Especially, the 'yada, yada, yada'...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021