Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just letting the bass through

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Feb 21, 2002.

1. A few years ago I thought I saw a "device" that allowed one to play a tape (CD?) and would mute out everything but the bass line. Am I dreaming this? I think it was tape only but I'm not real sure. I believe also there were other models available to do vocals, drums, etc. Can anyone refresh my memory? I'm hoping there is something available cuz I think it would be an asset towards transcribing.

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    jazzbasser-

I believe I know what you're talking about. My dad has a device like that; it's called the Rhythm Bandit made by Lueken Innovations. All you do is plug the output of the device into the headphone jack of a CD player or stereo and plug the headphones into the input jack on the device. It somehow cuts down the tone and volume of the bass/drums/vocals leaving the rhythm parts at full volume: even on commercial recordings. I don't know how it works or if they make them for other instruments, but Ed is probably right in thinking they work by frequency, meaning if the bass leaves the "frequency range," the effect will be lost. Happy bassing.

Peace

3. metalhead63

metalhead63

Mar 21, 2008
    Rhythm Bandit Rocks big time :)...Highyl recommended.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

:p

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    There is software called Transcribe that will highlight or duck bass, vocals or other ranges. All these things are just basically parametric EQ's ducking the bass range.