Just Like NBD..'72 P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by radioripster, Sep 20, 2016.

1. radioripster

radioripster

Sep 30, 2008
    Hey everybody.

A while back, I made a post about B neck Fenders basses and made mention of a '72 beater p bass that I had recently acquired that had a B neck.

Here it is..all done..LOTS of work !

I took the opportunity with this one to try out something that I had wanted to do for a long time..and that was to do a good rattle can paint job.

Lots of homework and prep went into this before I went for it.

I bet I did as much block wet sanding as would have gone into a small car and wet sanded between every coat.

Speaking of coats, there's probably 6 to 7 base coats followed with probably as many clear coats.

800 to 1500 grit wet sand paper was used and with rubbing compound to bring the shine out, then fine compound then hand buffed and finishing it up with Johnson's paste wax.

I had the lacquer to do this one, but like I said, since it was such a beater, I wanted to experiment with acrylic enamel.

The color is a new Rust-oleum offering in light turquoise, but is really close to sonic blue and that was the main reason that I wanted to try a good rattle can paint job..kind of sealed the deal.

Unlike lacquer, this stuff takes quite a while to cure.

It also has a new period correct headstock water slide decal that has many coats of clear lacquer and you guessed it..lots of wet sanding with 1500 grit.

Here's some pictures.

I played around with it a bit in the photos. The maple board neck is original and the fretless neck is a Mighty Might Ebonol.

IMG_1053_72_p_bass_9-17-2016_crop_FB_1800_zpsdkzktcbi.jpg

IMG_1044-3_72_p_bass_9-17-2016_crop_FB_1800_zpsifu90m3k.jpg

IMG_1052_72_p_bass_fretless_9-17-2016_crop_FB_1800_zps7twxoisk.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good.

The paint has cured pretty well, but I'm going to give a another week or so before I really begin to use it.

Thanks for stopping by.

yep...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    bassbully, AGH, nixdad and 7 others like this.
  2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice job, it looks great!

nixdad likes this.
  3. Oh, my. Didn't know rattle can stuff could come out that good.

John

nixdad likes this.
  4. Nicely done!

nixdad likes this.
  5. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    Very nice work, I also have a "'72 P with a B" :thumbsup:
    MJ

6. Very nice - love the "surfy" vibe ,ala, the Beach Boys.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021