Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just like which wine, red or white? Which 5-er?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I played for twenty-plus years before ever finding a five string that I liked. Now that I have a goal to save up for, a 55-02 in this case, I need to know what makes a good contrast/backup bass.

I always have had two basses, a fretted and a freless. Both to have a backup bass if my main went down, and to have a good contasting tone available. Now I need to come up with a 5-er to go with the still-hypothetical 55-02.

I have heard great things about feel and playability on the MTD Heir 5 and the Cort/Elrick JPS. But how about sound? Nobody carries either line locally. Since I live in a sleepy little area of only 5 million or so souls we don't rate dealers of other than what GC carries.

Now if you want to see a Fender Ibanez Warwick etc... those are easy to find. Now show me a Sadowsky. No? How about a Benavente? They exist. No really, I've seen pictures. Just not here.

Help me guys.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Rosé!!

I have a 55-02 Deluxe and a Tobias Classic 5 - which is about as different as you an get - neck-through, 24 frets, assymetrical neck with fairly narrow spacing..etc. etc.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    something like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I like the sound of the Tobias, but that narrow spacing thing is a problem. The Lakland had the feel that actually worked for me. I'd like something that felt kind of like that, but with a really different tone.

That Benny is pretty cute.

Oh, and whatever I pick will have to either come as a fretless or do well modified Jaco-style.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    How about a Cirrus ?
    Great playability, wide string spacing, tonal variety and hi-fi sound.

(I guess I just love my Cirrus 4 too much and can´t afford a 5 stringer)

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've only played two Cirruses(Cirri?) and one totally kicked A$$. The other one,Hmmmmmmmm well it would have made a really effective paperweight.

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I believe the new MTDs that are production come in an active option now.

8. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    That's funny. There are only five million people living in my entire state (Washington). My favorite for fretless would be a Warwick Thumb 5. I don't like fretted Warwicks much, but their fretlesses are pretty darn cool.

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    How about a Lakland 55-01? It has the feel of a 55-02 but with two soapbars instead of a MM/jazz configuration, has a different sound than a 55-02 and is not very expensive.

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Lary morgan has some real nice basses, but you might need to drive down 35 to Bass emporium or Austin Bass traders.
    They do a good job of filling in the gaps that Dallas can't.