Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just made E-5!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Well, USAF E-5 test results came out today, and guess who is getting promoted?!

My re-enlistment bonus should be depostied soon too, so guess who is gonna celebrate!?

And as always, to welcome me into the fold of the NCO, I got bent over and shafted. I gotta work extra days and my leave got cancelled. :( :mad:

Oh well, I'll be looking forward to that extra stripe, and the $ that comes with it. But probably not until sometime next spring. :rolleyes:

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Congrats! I hope you mean that bent over and shafted thing figuratively regarding your leave and not literally!

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    SSgt Select! Congrats.

You know more will be expected of you now. Well done!

4. Congrats, Chaos, you servicman, you. That's great.
    We're all proud of you!

Does anyone make a bass model called, E-5? That'd be very appropo.

I salute you!

Mike J.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    congratulations, man! that's great...always good to hear a fellow getting advanced in grade. i'm sure you earned it. take care of your guys, and they'll take care of you. have fun with that new stripe. and oh yeah....where's the keg? :D

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Congrats, dude! The worst part now is the wait. Plus, you gotta behave now that you have a line number hangin' over your head. ;) But in the meantime, enjoy being an airman. There are definitely days when I wish I could go back. :(

Got yer PM, by the way. She's the best. Take good care of her, sarge. :)

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    that needed to be said again.

8. *Salutes*
    How many stripes do you have?

9. Thanks everyone! If I ever get to see any of ya, I'll buy you a rond. :D The keg party isn't until I actually sew on.

Ride, I'm still a Senior Airman (3 stripes) with a line number to Staff Sergeant (4 stripes). I've gotta wait until I can actually wear the stripe.

I'm really looking forward to ALS :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again guys!

PS: Lump, I talked to her for a bit after they announced the results, and she seems really cool. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Congrats!!

I will take my E-5 exam on Saturday. :) Wish me luck!!

11. Congrats Chaos!!! Hope that you are doing good.

I'll be sewing on MSgt (E-7) in Feb or so....

AT EASE!!!!!! Y'all have a good day!

Mark

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    good luck gabe ;)

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks!! :D I have been strudying for it. I am probably the only reservist in my unit who didn't come back from our AT in Hawaii with a tan. :p

14. Go kitty!!

Rock on
    Eric

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Meow!!!!!!! :D

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Congrats on the promotion :)
    I was only an E-4 when I got out of the Army in 1988.

To all you Air Force guys; I was stationed at Ft.Lewis, WA. McChord AFB was right next to us(flew out of there for a FTX at Dugway proving grounds in early 1987)
    Sometimes, the Air Force guys came over to Ft. Lewis-guys who loaded C-130 aircraft. I liked those guys-all very nice, easy to get along with. Hung out with quite a few on the cruising strip in Centralia trying to pick up chicks. Damn, i should have joined the air Force!! Actually, I was gonna but...long story behind that one.

Gabu, what branch of service are you in? Just curious.

I also noticed there is a guy here who is in the Army band at Ft.Lee, VA. I did my AIT there in 1986 (was in Papa Co.) 94B-combat spoon training!!

Again, congrats on joining the NCO ranks.
    And I'll second the statement-take care of the guys, they'll take care of you.

17. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey dude
    thats way cool
    my dad is in the airforce
    he pulls airplane parts and does stuff in "mobility" right now..
    hes a Master Srgt.. Hes been in i think 30 years
    he joined when he was 20 and hes gonna be 51 this december and hes retiring in november.
    Congradulations though man..
    Im thinking about joining the airforce after high school.

18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If you're gonna join any branch of the military, the Air Force would be a good choice. Lots of high tech training is avaliable-plus, the Air Force guys I met while I was in, they were all really great people.
    I'm thinking about the ANG again myself.
    Good luck in your choice.:cool:

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am in the Navy Reserve.

If you want good technical training, you might find many of the Air Force jobs too specialized to apply to nonmilitary work.

Be careful and do your homework on any job you are considering. Don't count on the recruiter telling you anything more than you what he thinks you need to hear to join.

If you want valuable info, it's on you to dig it up. Also, remember this, when you sign up... anything that isn't specifically on your contract will not happen. Period. As in get any promises in writing.

That said, I like being in the Military. I like the priviledges it affords me, and I am proud to serve our nation. Good luck on your choice!

20. Nick,
    The Air Force and Navy have the best tech training for when you go back into the civilian sector. Granted there are some fields that don't translate as easy, but those are few. Almost every AF job is very similar to it's civilian counterpart.

Don't trust the recruiters. They are there to get you in, and into a critical career field. They are experts are subtly pressuring you into a job you might not want. Do some research, ask around, PM me if you want and I'll help you out, but when you go in to talk to the recruiter, tell him exactly what job you want, and don't be afraid to walk out if he says he might not be able to get it for you. Walk away, and I guarantee, he will be calling you. And remember, you can always back out at any moment before you leave for basic.